Chapter 18: Marcus

I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking. I did not want to get up. I was angry the sun had the nerve to rise on such a miserable day. I shut my eyes tightly. I wanted to go home.

Marcus came into the room quietly and placed a tray of food on the bed stand by the window.

"Rebecca?" He called to me softly. He touched my shoulder and sparks traveled down my arm. I looked at him.

"That was the mate bond." He explained. "See?" He touched my shoulder and powerful sensations flowed from his touch into my body.  He continued. "I know you are upset and probably angry at me so I brought a gesture of good will." He pointed to the breakfast, "I would also like you to join me for a walk once you are done. We need to talk."

I was hungry, but I preferred to starve in my current mood.

"I appreciate the gesture, but I am not hungry." My stomach growled at the most inopportune time, "Fine, I am hungry, but I am too upset right now to eat. I will try to eat it later."

I picked up the tray, and placed the food in the refrigerator.

I found my clothes in the things brought in by the other pack mates, and asked, "Can I take a shower?" I didn't even know if they had running water.

"Of course. I will be here when you are done." He replied patiently.

I took a shower, and also took inventory of my situation: I have been kidnapped against my will, transported onto an inescapable island, and cut off from everyone I know and love. Now my captor is going to mate and mark me like property, tying me to a person I don't know while my heart grieves my old life. Now I am supposed to be happy?

I was starting to understand why Samantha and I butt heads. I hate wolf culture.

All for tingles and orgasms? I had those with Jesse. I also had much more. I had consent.

I finished my shower, got dressed, and decided I was taking my power back one way or another. Step number one is figuring out the fastest way off this island.

I was determined not to be anyone's prisoner.

Marcus was serious about his request for a walk, so a walk we took. I found ways to ditch his hand whenever he tried to take mine, and I only replied in short answers like I was under trial, not that he was listening to me at all.

"It sure is a beautiful day. Soon the snow will be melted and we can plant crops. I love fresh vegetables after a winter of canned." I was starting to believe Marcus brought me because he loved to listen to his own voice.

As I tuned him out, Samantha loved his every word. I told her she had Stockholm Syndrome and to go see a shrink. She is pissed at me now.

Same old, same old.

He was now talking about commerce on the island unconcerned if I was listening or not. I was present so he could ramble and not look crazy.

I decided when he said we need to talk he has no intention of listening.

I suddenly became curious how big the island is and how fast I could lap it.

I walked towards the forest, ignoring whatever complaints Marcus was making for interrupting his lecture, and went out of sight of the village. I took my clothes off ignoring his arguments, and shifted. Then I took off at full speed in one direction until I found water.

I heard wolf feet near my back and a mind link, Hey sexy. I am Stryker, Marcus' wolf. Can I meet my mate?

Probably not right now, because I called her on her bullshit and she got pissed, but you can go for a run with me around the island. I feel stir crazy. I replied.

Why are you mad at your wolf? He asked.

She thinks kidnapping is romantic, and I think she needs her head examined. She also refuses to heal my concussion so there is that. I could care less about her opinion anymore. She is a priss. I explained.

And what are you like? He inquired.

Wild. I took off running.

Stryker was right on my tail excited by the chase. If I catch you, I will have my way with you. He threatened in a way he thought was sexy, but came across like rape.

If you try, I will give your human a dry spell for the next six months. I wouldn't try it. He will be angry. I countered.

Don't you want us? Stryker was confused.

Stryker, are you aware that in the last 24 hours I suffered a severe concussion, lost my family, my friends, my boyfriend, and my entire way of life, and now I am expected to bond with the man who kidnapped me? You are strangers to me. I am over all this nonsense. Tears fell from my eyes as I broke into the fastest sprint I have ever ran so he wouldn't see them.

If I knew you were a whore I would have rejected you from the start. Stryker was mad that I said boyfriend. He must have selective hearing just like his human counterpart.

If I am a whore, can I go home? I asked, never breaking pace.

No. Marcus doesn't believe you. Your Alpha said you make straight A's and you haven't been with anyone. Stryker asserted.

How would he know? Does the Alpha monitor my bedroom? I asked trying for an angle to get rejected and sent home.

You walked away from the village, and behind a bush where I couldn't see you to remove your clothes. You also didn't want to mate me so odds are you are quite innocent. Stryker bumped me and nipped my hip. You smell good mate. Come here.

You are still an ass for calling me a whore. You can get away from me. I responded. I clawed dirt in his face and ran faster.

My sex life was none of his business, when I am totally uninterested in having sex with him. I already disliked Marcus and his wolf. Marcus for kidnapping me, and his wolf for calling me a whore then still trying to climb on top of my haunches. What a jerk.

I wondered why the Alpha lied. His sons knew Jesse and I were intimate. The entire pack house knew! The council was pretty sure after I testified to the hazing even though I never testified confirmation nor denial of my sexual status, and yet he told Marcus I was a virgin. The Alpha would only lie to protect me. He is genuinely a good person. Would Marcus hurt me if he knew the truth?

Stryker kept pace, but I could tell his stamina was no where near as high as Jesse's. He said nothing more leaving me to my thoughts.

I ran at full speed until I found the wharf. I kept going for another hour until I found my initial trail and I ran back towards the village.

As I came close to the village, I had been running for about two hours. That combination of running, starvation, dehydration, and the concussion was too much for my body. I passed out and entered into pure, painless bliss.