XLII

"And there you go !" The doctor made a cute noise at the back of his throat, his wide sparkling eyes examining the child in front of him once to spot any other external injuries which needed attention

Taegguk just kept quiet, her doe eyes moving around the room, searching for someone. "Where is Appa ?" She asked "I miss Appa"

"Appa?" The doctor's narrowed eyes fell upon Jangmi, who just looked away, trying to dodge his questioning gaze "Jeon Jeongguk"

Realization of the current situation dawned upon the young guy.

Oh. Jeon Jeongguk. The man booked for being one of the suspects behind the murder of 3 people.

"Sweetheart" He knelt down in front of the girl, his unoccupied hand coming up to cup her left cheek, "Darling'' He cooed at her "Your appa is away for a job. Okay ? He will return soon." He lied, his eyes scanning the girl for any possible negative reaction. "And with LOTS of chocolates. Okay ? But for that to happen, you need to eat" He pointed his occupied hand towards the pile of tablets on the table "those ewie medicines and all your vegetables. Okay ?"

She will buy my lies, I guess

Taegguk remained quiet, her hands planted on either side of her, her sharp, judging eyes scanning the doctor once before she exhaled loudly "You're lying" She said nonchalantly, her eyes boring through the other's soul.

"Taeggukie !" Jangmi whisper-shouted, moving forward to kneel in front of her as well. "Why will he lie to you, sweetheart ?" She tried to cover up for the doctor "He is not lying. Trust me" She begged

The little girl didn't even bother to look at her, her eyes fixed on the doctor, her calculative eyes moving over the beads of sweat rolling down from his forehead. "Why are you lying ? Papa doesn't like liars." She said, her emotionless voice giving chills to the adults in the room. "Papa says that lying is not a good thing." She finally broke her direct eye contact with the doctor, her eyes now looking down to focus on her marred nails instead. "And you're lying." She spoke sharply.

"I know that the police uncles are keeping my Appa away from me."

The doctor gulped, his hand almost slipping down from her cheek. "And who told you that?"

"Papa"

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

"What's your opinion on this ?"

"On what exactly ?" The youngest fired back, his bandaged hands holding onto the worn out blanket barely covering his bandaged chest.

I've to get out of here soon. If not for me, then for my daughter. She must be so scared…

"Gguk" Yoongi leaned against his ear, his voice quieter than the demons who plagued Jeongguk's mind for the last few months. "Did you forget that walls have ears too ?" He whispered out through gritted teeth, his warm breath tickling the small strands of hair on the latter's cheek. Jeongguk shook his head lightly, his hold on the blanket getting tighter as his lips wobbled. "Will never forget that"

"Will never let you forget me…Even when I'm gone…I'll make sure gguk…I'll make sure that you'll never be able to move on even when I'm gone…"

Jeongguk gulped. "His diary is missing, hyung". He paused, carefully picking on the next set of words he's about to throw at the older. "I am sure…" He whispered out, his voice barely audible "Someone other than us knows what happened that night"

"And who do you think it is ?" Jimin's voice startled the other two who forgot that he is in the same room as them as well. "Do you even have a clue?" He challenged.

The youngest again shook his head. "No" He declared, his eyes fixed on the gray rough blankets." But I know that, whoever is behind this shit, they're not clever at all" He announced, his two front bunny teeths pressing down on his bottom lip mercilessly.

Yoongi nodded. "I'm sure that Seok's going to have good news for us"

As if on cue, his phone rang out loudly, starling the inhabitants. Jimin leaned down, eyes focusing on the glaring screen of the cellphone, the frowns previously dancing on his forehead disappearing instantly. "It's Seokie"

Jeongguk gasped, throwing the blanket away as he crawled over to the edge of the bed, his wide eyes filled to the brim with curiosity. "Accept it on speaker" Jimin, upon hearing his request, turned to look at his partner, silently asking for whether he wanted the same thing or not.

Yoongi just chuckled in reply. "The pests are gone"

His lover took it as a positive sign as his slender fingers dragged the green icon on the blinking screen to the other side and tapped on the speaker option.

"....Hello ?"

A pregnant pause invaded the room.

"...Hobi hyung? Are you in there?" Jimin tried to break the glacier.

A loud sigh echoed in the room.

"Jeongguk ah, did Taehyung ever told you about his twin brother ?"