Chapter Fourteen

There was an awkward silence between Megan and myself, we just stood there looking at one another. And to be honest I could go the whole trip without speaking another word to her. But that is not how I am. I’m not a petty person. I took a deep breath before breaking the ice.

“What do you want now, Megan?” I asked wiping my hands.

“Look, I know I been rude this trip.” She started off saying.

“That’s one-way of putting it.” I answered.

“Madison, I’m trying to apologize here.” She rolled her eyes.

“Okay…go ahead and continue.” I smirked.

She sighed as she continued to talk.

“Like I was saying, I know I been rude but you have to understand, we tell each other everything and then all of a sudden I hear from mom that you are engaged! I was so confused. I didn’t understand who was this guy. You hurt me.” She stated.

“I didn’t mean to keep it from you. It just that Lexington is a very private person. He doesn’t like his personal life out there. He still hasn’t told his parents about us.” I explained.

“Don’t you think that it is a little suspicious? I mean why does he have to hide your relationship from his own family. Like what is he hiding?” She said.

“Look Megan, I’m not going,  to do this with you. I told you he is very private, so just leave it there.” I responded before walking out.

Instead of walking to the table I went to the lobby. I just needed to take a breather from everyone and everything. This façade was harder to keep going than I intentionally thought. I hate lying to my family but I feel that is necessary. It’s the only way to keep my mother off my back. And when this trip is done, I will just tell my family that we were to different too make our relationship work.

“Are you okay?” Lexington question as he came up behind me.

“I been better. I just didn’t think it would be that hard to keep this up.” I said.

“Just look it like this, Maddie. We are only telling half a lie.” He replied.

“What do you mean?” I stared at him directly in the eyes.

“I mean...” He started to say before getting cut off by my mom.

“Sorry, to interrupt guys but are you coming back to dinner?” She asked.

“Yeah.” I smiled.

“Come on, we can finish this tonight.” Lexington said giving me a kiss before following my mom back into the restaurant.

I wanted to finish the conversation right there and then. I didn't want to wait. I wanted to know what he meant when he said that we are only telling half a lie. I had a million questions running through my mind. But I had to patient and wait til we were back in our room. And hopefully I was going to hear what I wanted to hear. That he really like me.