Chapter Eighty Nine

As far as the gaze went all Drishti could see was only smoke and ruins everywhere, thousands of people in front of her, except none of them were moving, as if watching the darkening sky laying on the ground

As far as the gaze went all Drishti could see was only smoke and ruins everywhere, thousands of people in front of her, except none of them were moving, as if watching the darkening sky laying on the ground. Her curiousity led her near them only to see blood and gore.

Her steps halted as eyes widened at the sight, who killed all these people?

For some reasons she felt like she couldnt breathe, be it because of that smoke or the sight. Her steps led her to a never ending path wholly covered in corpses. Drishti felt her throat dry up at the dreadful scene.

"Is anybody there?" She called only to get no response because no one was left alive to call back. Her eyes turning blurry with the tears surging up while the heart was ebbing mercilessly. Her shaking steps came to a complete halt as she soon recognised one of the faces in the piles of dead.

Those faces belonged to Duryodhan's brothers, her heart sank, all of them dead. Just as her eyes moved a little further, there was Dushasan and then Duryodhan, Mamashree— all of them dead. She felt a tight knot build inside her chest which wasnt letting her emit any sound.

"N-No," She shook her head, not believing the sight, "I-It cant be real. Its not real!"

She ran, trying escape that land which was occupied by only and only deads. She didnt even realise when tears started streaming down her face while running until she came to a halt on seeing the kids— Lakshman, Vrishasena, Drumsena, Vrishaketu—

"NO!" She shrieked not believing her eyes on capturing that horrendous sight, "No, no, no, no, not the kids, not the kids—"

Her own voice was cut by the cries echoing from somehwere close. Several women letting out heart rendering cries, wailing at the unmoving bodies of their children. Wait. She recognised those women.

"Draupadi?" She flinched when the women in front of her turned around with fiercely brimming eyes, it was indeed Draupadi and soon she was walking towards her with those rageful eyes, "Because of you we lost our children, Drishti!"

"You've killed them!" It was Subhadra who spoke up from beside Draupadi. Drishti tried to bring her voice out but she couldnt. She killed them? No. She couldnt believe it, she shook her head, "N-No, I did not—"

"Yes you did!" Draupadi shrieked, "Your hands will always be covered in the blood of all the innocent lives you took for your revenge!"

Her gaze fell down to her hands dripping in blood, which wasnt hers. "No!" She backed away, trying to wipe it off but it wouldnt, it will remain there always. She couldnt believe so many lives were put to end because of her, so many innocent lives.

The voices of all the mothers who lost their children echoed, making her head swirl, saying she was reponsible for so many deaths. That she killed them— No wait. This cant be real, this just couldnt be, she knew firmly. She just ran trying to find the loophole, but she just couldnt and suddenly her steps seemed to be leading her to a deserted place, no more dead bodies, no more blood.