Chapter Eighty Eight

"Do you want more kheer Drumasena?" Drishti called in the long lane of the kids sitting together having lunch meanwhile she had the princess of Angdesh sat in her lap, feeding her

"No, Maa- I'll burst." Drumasena said with great difficulty causing all of them to laugh at his uneasy state, meanwhile Drishti gasped when Karnika again bit her finger mistakenly. Drishti glared at her playfully, "I think I really need to complain to your mother, Karnika."

"Yes Maa," An agitated Prateek sat in the lane, voiced from his spot, "She even tried to trip me in the backyard, this nasty little monstress-"

"You-!" Before Karnika could shower him with words horrifying for the whole human race, Drishti had to stifle her voice under her palm over her mouth and gave her a stern look, "Karnika you are upsetting me a lot now, why are you always so angered and easily annoyed nowadays, you are just five but the way you react is way out of your age- and you too Prateek, I've warned you about saying anything like that anybody. Apologise to each other both of you."

"Sorry." Prateek mumbled in a small voice lowering his gaze, obviously feeling a bit bad on being scolded in front of everyone like that but he knew Drishti only scolded anyone when it was actually very necessary.

"Karnika, you need to apologise as well." Drishti said glancing back at the girl in her lap, in a firm tone but halted on seeing her eyes welling up heavily and lips quivering. Oh no.

"Karn-" Drishti whispered but interrupted by Karnika getting up and running straight out of the hall and everybody knew what was to come after that. Vrishaketu sighed a bit dejectedly, "I dont mean it like that Maa but you scolded her just like Mata Supriya."

Drishti's mouth parted hearing that and the amount of that awful feeling that surged through her was indescribable. She knew Supriya wasnt the sweetest and kindest and many a times she was harsh on the kids and it affected Karnika a lot. Drishti felt worse now knowing that she hurt her indirectly like that.

Getting up quickly and following her out immediately, Drishti stood in front of her, while she had her face hanging down and Drishti knew she was trying to hide the tears and it hurt her even more on seeing that a kid of only five had learnt to cry silently, bitterness clouded over her as Drishti recalled immediately how she used to feel at that age and now she was the one who inflicted that kind of pain on her.

Crouching down on her knees and holding her ears, Drishti whispered, "I am sorry, Karnika- I didnt mean to yell at you like that-"

"T-Then why did you?" Karnika sniffed, trying to hold her soft sobs. Drishti just wanted to pull her straight into chest and hold on to her tightly. Reaching out to hold her tiny hands in hers, she spoke softly, "I was just trying to say that you shouldnt talk to anyone like that, be it elder or younger than you. Also you tried to trip Prateek, what if you could have hurt him?"

At that she looked up through those wide moist eyes on realising what Drishti was trying to say. Smiling slightly, Drishti continued, "I know you are a good girl and you obviously dont want to harm anybody, neither by actions nor by words, right?"