I'll help you cope

Due to all the recent events and tragedies, the populace has been on edge.Even though the war was short, about 10,000 soldiers still died.Most of them were lost on the 3 days after the first battle.We lost 10% of our current army, which did shake The Emperor up a bit, by what Alastair has told me.

  Laying siege on a kingdom does come with a hefty price, no matter how big or small.Additionally, the strategic Geography of Heilos's bastions and military bases made them especially hard to capture without many losses.All of this eventually ended with the deaths of 10,000 soldiers and a few hundred civilians.

  So now, I was to share a speech with Alastair to the people to calm them in these troubling times.

  I myself was having trouble coping with the guilt I felt about the incident that Accina arranged.If only my wrists  could heal faster, then maybe I could have used wind magic to help.

  Up until now, my wrists have not completely healed, so I struggled to use complicated light magic spells, much less wind magic;which I was still learning.

  I ran my fingers over the bandages on my wrists.I've been concealing them from everyone with my light magic since the war ended.It seems that I have also decieved myself in this aspect.They had been there, concealed from everyone, for so long that I have forgotten they were even there.

  Come to think of it, I don't remember changing them.Does Carina change them in my sleep?

  "Miss Asterisk?I know you have alot of duties to do and are very busy thinking about them all the time, but when I ask you a question, can you please pull your head out of your work and answer it?"The teacher said, breaking me out of my trance.

  "Ah-sorry Ma'am."I replied.

  Alastair glanced at me in worry.

-Alastair's POV-

  Does Astraea need a change of bandages?I thought she recovered fully by the time I came back but she had been hiding it with light magic all this time...

  If it was not for the day of the incident, then I would have never found out.I thought it was weird that she did not try to help people with her  wind magic then.So when she fell asleep in my arms, I rubbed her wrists and her magic revealed itself.I was such an idiot to think her injuries were not this bad.

  Her hands were almost cut off, the wounds so deep it reached bone.It was no wonder that she could not use wind magic-a secondary magic she has only just mastered.It would be hard for her to even use advanced light magic for short periods of time in this state yet on that day...she pushed herself to use it.I changed her bandages that day, and left her parent's house.

  She always makes that face when she's trying to accept facts she wishes she did not have to accept.I was a bit worried for Astraea.I wonder what she was thinking of to make her look so anxious.

  Seeing Astraea rub her wrists like that, I instinctively reached out and touched her wrists.For a moment her light magic fell and she hurriedly pulled her wrist away from my hand.

  "You knew?"Astraea asked quietly.

  Ah, I messed up.

  "Yes, why didn't you tell me sooner?"I asked, "I thought you said we should be truthful to each other."

   Astraea frowned before sighing and replying, "My injuries served their purpose, to rile up the citizens for the war.It isn't needed after that, so I just pretended I was fully healed..."

  "Then why didn't you tell us?"I asked, frowning.

  Astraea's hands balled into fists, tightly holding onto her dress.

  -FL'S POV-

  Maybe it was that I myself could not come to terms with the temporary loss of my magic.It was like my safety net, something to rely on if I meet trouble.But for that first few days after getting injured, I could barely move my hands and carry the lightest things, much less cast magic.I felt so weak and scared.

  I was afraid that Emmeline or one of Accina's minions would assassinate me and I could do nothing to stop it.For those few days I fell asleep every night thinking that I might not wake up.It was a horrible feeling.

  Since light magic is a generally weak magic when it comes to anything but destruction and aesthetics, similar to darkness.That is why most people who possess light magic would usually convert to another magic affinities since darkness is the stronger one.

  However, people such as Alastair and I have enough mana to sustain using two magic affinities.Hence, we are both learning wind magic.

  "I myself didn't want to believe my magic was temporarily gone...but instead of accepting it I simply deceived myself and everyone around me.I felt weak and useless, and the I didn't showed me that.I could barely be of much help, and I had so little energy compared to before I got the injury.Im so pathetic aren't I?"I said, smiling sadly.

  Alastair frowned, as the bell rang signalling the end of class.

  "No, you aren't.It's not your fault that you got injured.Its my fault that I didn't realize it earlier..."Alastair muttered, holding my hands, "In the future, I'll help you cope with all of this."

  I froze, as I felt tears gathering in my eyes.His words...touched me greatly.I held back my tears and smiled.

  I uttered a soft thank you and Alastair smiled back.

  Suddenly, Emmeline squealed, making me and Alastair look at her in confusion.

  "Hehe, it's fun to watch you two!It's like looking at a k-drama!"Emmeline cried.

  Alastair and Eos just looked at her in confusion while my face turned 50 shades of red.

  "Emmeline!!Don't say that!"I cried.

  Emmine just giggled as I grabbed her shoulders and shook her back and forth.

  "Umm...is there something we're not getting?"Eos asked.

   "That's an understatement." Emmeline chirped, smiling.

  I sighed.

  "You better not mention that again or I'll kill you."I said in a dangerous tone, smiling while the look in my eyes said otherwise."

  Emmeline simply laughed.

  Author's Notes:WOWWW we're gonna hit 4k soon!!So fast...TYSM.I will have to update a bit less since I have to practice for an upcoming band performance(I'll be performing for the president omg).Yea :') thanks for reading!!I promise the next chapter will not be as mediocre >v<