The end of the War

-Alastair POV-

 The day has finally come.After 4 days of keeping low profiles in the capital city of Heilos, our troops had the city surrounded.It was sad seeing a kingdom collapse.With the rising despair, famine and hopelessness among the people, it was no wonder that most were simply converting to the Empire's side.

  Wanting to avoid a massacre, My father had come up with this plan.Vyn and I would stay in the capital after saving Astraea.Then, depending on the situation, would either open the gates to our troops or to ask The King to surrender.The former was the plan that we would be following.After all, there was no point in invading the capital full of starving citizens and soldiers that would hardly put up a fight.It would be better to paint the empire in a good light by offering them a peaceful end to the war.However, that would be the 'story' if all went according to plan.If the King refused, then we would just assassinate him.Barely anything would change, after all.The war had practically ended.It was almost pitiful seeing how small the amount of resistance we had faced.

  So as night came, Vyn and I got ready to infiltrate the castle.It was rather easy, with most of their remaining troops at the city walls prepared to defend from an attack.The two of us crept to the King's bedroom.I opened The King's bedroom door and Vyn rushed to his bed to put a knife at his neck.The King woke up soon after, but I could tell something was wrong with him.The King's eyes were blank and unseeing, almost like he was already dead.

  "Good evening, King of Heilos.Surrender and be put in prison or join your father."I said, not becoming discouraged.

  The King simply stared at me in a daze.The room fell into an eerie silence, and Vyn looked at me with a confused look.Suddenly, the King yelped, as if he had regained his senses.

  "What's happening?!Who are you people, and what are you doing in my chambers?!"The King cried.

  The King looked around and then a confused look appeared on his face.Was he half-asleep earlier?

  "Wait...this is my Father's chambers."The King muttered.

  My brow furrowed.

  "What do you mean?This room has been your chambers for months now since you inherited the throne of Heilos."I replied.

  "I'm afraid he won't be able to recall any memories from the last few months, Crown Prince."A voice said.

  Both Vyn and I traced the sound of the voice to the balcony.There, a girl was twirling her blonde locks around her fingers and humming to herself.Her eyes were glowing red, and She had this ominous aura around her.A red liquid, with the colour of blood but a thickness of honey, was twirling around the second finger of her other hand.

  Blood magic.A magic that was traditionally associated with evil.Blood magic derived from Dark magic, and was a stronger but more brutal form of it.Due to the lasting scars and horrible injuries caused by blood magic, it was soon banned across the world and eradicated from this world.So how did this girl learn blood magic when the last record of a mage being able to use it was 3,000 years ago?

  Suddenly, a red spike pierced through the King of Heilos, coming from the girl at the balcony.

  "I'm sorry that you had to see that, but I just had to tie up some loose ends."The blonde girl said, smiling.

  I glared at her.Whoever she was, she was dangerous.The girl sat on the balcony railing, as if she was watching a bunch of idiotic mice fighting over a piece of cheese.The girl was swing her legs as she sat on the balcony railing, like how young, innocent girls sitting on tree branches are described in fairy tales.

  "Will you kill us too?"I asked.

  The girl laughed a laugh that almost sounded unhinged, her hair being blown sideways by the cold night wind.Her silhouette resembled a dark shadow.

  "Of course not, your role in this story is not over yet.Plus, I'm not one of those dumb villains in story books that reveal their plans."The girl replied, "Though nice try."

  My brow furrowed.This girl was beyond delusional.

  "It's so fun seeing how things will play out.So don't bore me, Crown Prince."The girl said, her voice becoming low and ominous at her last sentence.

  I gulped.For some reason, I felt more spooked from this random girl than I did from anything else my entire life.

  "Anyways, see you in the future, Crown Prince!"The girl chirped.

  The girl then leans backwards, and literally falls off the balcony in an oddly graceful manner, leaving Vyn and I stunned.

  Suddenly, we heard the shouts of guards.I guess they have noticed me and Vyn's presence.

  "We better get going.Without their king, we have already won this war."Vyn said, "Let's wait for the next heir's surrender."

  However, it was only after the girl left that it hit me.What Astraea told me the last time I saw her...'Emmeline and Accina has the King of Heilos under their fingers.'.It all made sense now.That girl just now was Emmeline. She also said that all she knew up until now was a lie.Had Emmeline revealed something to her that did not align with everything she believed in this entire time?

  No wonder she looked at us like we were idiots, because she knew I was unable to piece together what her identity was!

  "Hey Alastair, are you alright?The guards are coming, let's go!"Vyn muttered.

  I nodded.As we made our escape, I questions were popping up in my mind.When I return, I'd have alot of things to ask Astraea about.

Author's Notes:This chapter was kinda short, not rlly meeting my usual 1000 word quota for a chapter, but Im still tired from the cough and runny nose medicines I gotta take cause COVID. ;-; I am getting better though, cause my runny nose seemed to have dissapeared completely now.(As to how I was able to stay awake long enough to write this damn chapter) Thank you for 900 reads btw!Like I woke up this morning and saw 900 reads and was like OMG.Thank you guys so much 🥺.We're so close to my 1k goal.Thats why I wrote a new chapter for you guys!! ❤️.I've tried to use more subtext and have been reading more books to get better at writing.(With all this free time I got from self-isolation cause COVID)So that's all for today.さよなら!