Strategizing

The next big event was approaching quickly.The fighting tournament, which I like to call Magic PVP.After assuring Carina that I was alright, I started preparing for the Magic PVP.In my slumber, I had also dreampt of when Astraea and Alastair were engaged.

Alastair proposed to Astraea back when they were children.Before Astraea left on her final visit when they were 12, Alastair proposed to Astraea on his father's order.Astraea, on her father's order, agreed.

To the eyes of a normal person, this was just two children who had catched feelings for one another.The reality was that the engagement was more or less arranged.

The Emperor/King realized that Astraea was smart for her age, and extremely mature.He realized that of all noble ladies he could choose, Astraea was his best bet.Astraea survive in the castle, which is like a battlefield.She can brush off bad gossip about her and not let it affect her, she could assist Alastair in his work and she was also close to him.

Lord Asterisk saw this as an opportunity to increase his rank.After all, the crown prince was the best candidate for a political marriage.Be had no complaints.Lord Asterisk sensed that The Emperor had taken a liking to his daughter, and knew he would tell Alastair to propose to her sooner or later.Hence, Lord Asterisk told his daughter to accept the proposal if Alastair proposed.

It was basically arranged, the two children were just puppets controlled by their parents.They acted as a medium, almost.No matter how sweet their words were, behind that curtain were the sinister plans of their parents.They kept the engagement a secret, but I knew that they would announce it after the Magic PVP.

Astraea's father was a good father, he only chose to do this as he thinks it would secure her dau9ghter's future. He was a doting father, and just did what he thought would be best for his daughter.

Obviously, he failed to notice that Astraea could care less about rank and power.She just wanted to be immersed in the world of novels and books.It was rather ironic, as I was also like that in my previous life as Iris.

Iris grew up a bookworm, and then discovered the joy of reading webtoons, manga and novels.I did not remember much of my past life, but bits and pieces of it were coming back.

I sighed.Life is so unfair.I was supposed to go to heaven and see my mother and sister.Instead, I was dragged into the body of the villainess.

Well, I just had to suck it up and endure it.I was researching how to conserve mana.To do that, I was reading in the library, of course.A woman's best weapon is information and her words.

"Carina, can you give me more details on the Magic Pv-I mean fighting tournament?"I asked Carina, looking up from my book.

"The fighting tournament will take place in 2 days time.The prize for the winner is a small trophy and 10,000 gold coins.It will take place for 5 days. Usually, only men participate."Carina replied.

Well, if I will be the only woman, then winning this tournament will be easy.People fear Astraea, some even call her the 'ice queen' due to her 'coldness'.They feared her for her powers, so I had picked up another trick and stuffed it up my sleeve.One that none would expect.After all, the art of surprise never fails.Learning new things out of my comfort zone is healthy for me.

"I don't care about the prize money and trophy, I care more about whose arse I'll be kicking."I replied.

Carina gasped and her hands went to her mouth.I stared nonchalantly at her.Then, I raised an eyebrow as if to say 'what?'.

"I can't believe my lady sweared like that in public."Carina said.

"I've been stressed lately."I told Carina.

It was partly true.It was stressful trying to learn a new skill in less than four days for the tournament.The door to the library swung open, and the person that walked through surprised me.I closed my book shut, stood up, and curtsied.

"May the gods bless the future sun of the Blaese Empire."I greeted.

I learnt from Eos that that was how one formally greets the crown prince. Alastair bows and kisses my hand.

"Good afternoon, Lady Astraea of the lordship of Asterisk."Alastair greeted in reply, in a slightly sarcastic tone.

"May I know how you found me?"I asked Alastair.

"You've been a bookworm since you were young, so I guessed that you'd be here.Plus, I got the item you requested.However, I am curious, why would you need such an item?"Alastair explained.

"It's for the tournament, I want to participate."I told Alastair.

'...and kick ass.'I finished the sentence in my head.

"Well, it's hard to believe that you would want to learn such a skill." Alastair said, "And where's my thanks?Not every royal is willing to run around and do errands for a mere lady, Astraea."

I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you, your royal highness."I said sarcastically.

"One day, your ability to manipulate people will help this kingdom.I like that scheming mind of yours."Alastair complimented me.

"You flatter me, Alastair.We get around the same results and have the same amount of unlocked mana.You have a good, strategic mind like an army commander while I have a scheming, 'evil' mind like a dictator.Yes I know, we make a perfect pair."I joked.

A wind comes through the window, making my hair sway with the wind. Alastair rests his head on his hand as we watches me read.His curious face that seemed to be staring at me irritated me after awhile.

"What?"I asked.

"I just thought...that you look really pretty like this."Alastair replied.

I threw a book at Alastair, which hit him smack in the face.

"Hey!!"He whined, "I was complimenting you!"

Yes, and that made me flustered, Alastair.Everyone here just feels too real.All the main characters looked impossibly beautiful and handsome. Even the villainess had an unatrual, goddess-like body.I have not had much time to admire just how beautiful Astraea was.Her eyes were like amythists that were meticulously carved upon her face、her skin was silky smooth and unatrually white、 Her short white hair seemed to glow in the light.Astraea was quite a catch.She was written to have a 'piercing cold gaze'.

"Don't say that so loudly in public next time."I said, crossing my arms.

"Fine~"Alastair whined.

"But I think you look handsome too."I said quietly.

Alastair smiles.

ALASTAIR:80-->85 affection points

Now I was smiling.

"You should smile more often, you look prettier that way."Alastair said, standing up to leave, "See you around."

My face was burning as Alastair leaved, making him chuckle.

"Erm...My lady, are you alright?Your face is red."Carina asked.

"O-Oh!!No it's just a bit warm in here, I'll put some cold light."I replied.