Royal Ball

•Hope you like the picture above, this is a picture of Astraea playing with light to beautify herself, which is common upon light users.

  After spending a few days at my parent's house, the royal ball arrived. In the main story, this was a turning point in Alastair and Astraea's relationship.Some ladies would dilute the fruit punch with anphrodisiacs. They would then blame it on me, and Alastair would believe them, thinking Astraea put it in a pitiful, desperate attempt to make him fall in love with her.Astraea would never stoop that low, it was tragic that she was blamed.

  However, things have changed.My reputation is not as bad now.Even though the nobles held spite for me for being the prince's fiancé and being this powerful, at least they could not nit-pick out any wrong in me.Apart from the fact that I used to be a commoner.

  Hence, I do not think that event will be blamed on me, but someone else who would be present at the ball today.The side villainess, Marchioness Elle Ferensia.Whilst Astraea was more like the final boss in the last story, Elle did the dirty work for Astraea, bullying and teasing Emmeline.

   Whilst Astraea was executed, Elle was exiled from the empire.A better fate than death, one which I would actually prefer.I could live peacefully in the suburbs as a commoner, growing my own vegetables and living my life stress-free.

  Elle was also the one that framed Astraea, to which she promptly blackmailed and manipulated her into submission after finding out it was her.

  I looked out of the carriage, fiddling with my white fur jacket.Cufflinks kept the loose fur jacket on my shoulders, made of black mana crystals infused with the darkness element.I wore a sleeveless black with purple accents.

  For this ball, Carina really pulled out all her expertise.She even got me to use a beautifying method with my light magic.By constantly manipulating light, I can create literal illusions and seemingly change my appearance.I eventually settled on pink and purple highlights in my hair with a bit of pink in my eyes.I also made a reddish halo float above my head and streaks of light around me.

  With this, I did not even need makeup.

   We soon reached the imperial palace, where Alastair was waiting for me.

   I had avoided him for the last two days due to the embarrassment of what happened at the tea party.However, now I had to face him again.

   The butler opened the carriage door and Alastair once again raised his arm for me to hold.I took it and climbed down gracefully, making sure to not make a mistake in front of so many nobles in such an important occasion.The Royal Ball, hosted every decade, is the most important ball in the empire.It is to symbolize the Empire's eternal prosperity and it's talented, wise rulers.

   Never once had there been a mediocre Empire since the Empire's creation.Each Emperor has they're own persona that they play into to earn the people's favour.Alastair's was the innocent, brave golden boy of the empire.

   However, now I knew that it was a persona he plays, not his actual personality.So I was curious to find out more.

  The row of knights at the sides of the red carpet all bowed as Alastair escorted me into the palace.Once we were inside, Alastair started talking.

  "How's the situation with Emmeline?"Alastair asked.

  Phew, I thought he would say something about the day of the opening of the tea shop.

  "In peril.I have no idea how to stop Emmeline, or if I even have to stop her.Sure, she has blood magic, but it could have been the lives she reaped in her previous lives, right?Accina must have made her remember all her past lives or something...so can she even be held accountable for something she has done several lifetimes ago?"I said, in a dilemma.