Speech

I spent the rest of the day writing and editing the script for my speech.It was only until dinner that I finished the script.The Empress already warned me not to disappoint her, and I could tell from her dangerous voice that the consequences would be heavy if I messed up.

I had to appear like an injured, traumatized survivor that had been imprisoned by the enemy.

That was not that hard.Hence, I did not have much trouble writing the script.My speech would be made at the city square the next day.All for the sake of the people's image of me improving.While writing the script, I realized I had an untapped flair for writing.Was it Astraea's, or my previous's life's?With Trinity gone, I could not ask these things.Suddenly the invisible presence that I used to consult was gone.It kind of made me feel empty, and lonely to a point.

Astraea's life must have been so lonely.With a 'friend' like an emotionless knight, and such an abusive family.Her life was miserable till Alastair came into it.It was no wonder why she was angry when Emmeline took Alastair and Eos away from her.Those two must have meant so much to her.

I chuckled as I scratched my quill on parchment.I was editing my script again after dinner, unable to resist a wierd temptation that had rose in me.

"Editing your script again?"I heard a familiar voice ask.

The only voice that is owned by someone that can be considered a friend to me;that is not fighting in the war right now.

"Yes, Carina."I replied, feeling rather comforted by her voice.

"Hehe, has my lady grown fond of writing?"Carina asked.

I chuckled.I was not that sure about that.I ended up doing a bit of reading before I fell asleep on my desk.

-Carina POV-

My lady was never peaceful whenever she sleeps.As if all her troubles were embodied in a never-ending nightmare for 4-9 hours.My lady would mutter, would cry, would sleepwalk.That was why I always made sure to watch her carefully when she slept.At first, I was uncertain of my lady.After all, on paper, she appeared like any other noble that I have been hired to protect.A sheltered, dumb girl that knew nothing about the world.However, as I started to know her better, I realised that was far from the truth.

My lady was smart, beautiful, strong.Everything that I wished to be.Because...on the inside, I knew I had none of those traits.I might be strong in a physical sense, but I was never mentally strong.I grew up in the slums, and the assassin's path was the only way out.I had the thinnest skin one could possibly have.I had no self-esteem, and thought that without my work, I would be totally useless.

On the other hand, my lady seemed so perfect.She was strong, did not break easily, and was such a delicate, exquisite beauty.That made me alienate her.She was the crown princess, of course she had to be at this level of perfection.However, on the first night of me working under her, I realised that no human being was perfect;and that I was just working towards the unrealistic standards of society.

That night, I was keeping guard of my lady outside her dormitory, when I heard what I thought was someone walking.I realised that it was coming from my lady's bedroom.Fearing someone had come to assassinate her, I immediately barged into her room with the intent to kill.However, what I found instead was shocking.

My lady's balcony door was open, letting the cold night air in.My lady herself was standing on the balcony railing, wobbling.I remembered freezing up, then running to My Lady to stop her from ending her life.However, as I pulled on her arm and her body collapsed into my arms, I found that she was asleep.My lady was crying silently, pitifully.Tears had latched on to her lashes, and she was smiling.