Return

That morning, the sound of trumpets rang mixed with the chiming of church bells as dawn broke.

  I rubbed my eyes as I held my bedsheets tightly.Thank god I finally woke up, the nightmare last night was particularly awful.I dreamt of everyone around me dying.Unlike for most people, I was glad to be in reality cause at least the horrible events that happen here are at least realistic.

  I could tell from the sound of the trumpets that Alastair and the troops had returned.It had been three days since my speech, and I lived those three days reading books from the royal library.

  Now that Alastair and the others were returning, I could ask what happened to the brainwashed King.

  "I got breakfast for you, My Lady." Carina said, the door bursting open.

  I smiled at her.Carina always timed her entrances perfectly.

  "I'll eat on the table there as always, and I'd like a splash of milk and two cubes of sugar with my tea."I said, getting out of bed.

  Carina's eyebrow rose.

  "Are you perhaps in a good mood today, My Lady?"Carina asked, putting her hand on her chin in deep thought.

  I let her think for a while.

  "Ah, yes, they've returned."Carina said, her eyes sparkling, "I see why your mood is good today.Hehe, you fancy the prince, don't you?"

  I frowned, sighing.

  "It's complicated."I told Carina, poking my omelette with my fork.

  Carina 'hmm'ed suspiciously.

  "Ooooo, elaborate more on that!"Carina cried.

  It's not like those dumb forbidden romances in romance novels, Carina. It's not what you think.Alastair was made to be a perfect character for simps to fawn over.In my previous life, I probably would simp for him, but this world is reality.In this world, Alastair and the love interests are humans, and humans have flaws.

  Being so used to simping over fictional characters, I did not think I could ever love a real human with flaws anymore.After all, I was conditioned into this.

  I looked down, my face darkening.I would never love Alastair, no matter how charming he is.I also did not deserve such an almost-perfect human being.I have done nothing to deserve such a 'happy ending'.Astraea deserved this, not me.This was her life, her fiancé, her body for god's sake.I did not deserve such beauty, wealth and a love life.

  Well, one could argue that my past life was tragic.However, just because I endured hardship and had a tragic life did not mean I deserved a good life in my next.Plus, Astraea was just a pawn in the greater scheme of things.

  "Is it...that complicated?"Carina asked, seeing my serious face.

  I put my chin on my fist and stared out of the window.It was rather sunny today, how nice.A second fanfare of trumpets rang through the city.Ah, they did that when the army returned by the gates to when Alastair and Eos went into the castle.

  "They're back."I said, changing the topic.

  Carina opened her mouth to speak but then closed it.She plastered on a smile.Carina cleared away my breakfast.

  "Then you should get dressed and meet them, My Lady."Carina said, "I'll call the other maids for you."

  I thanked her as she left and stood up.I leaned at the window, feeling the wind blow through my silver hair.It was actually quite nice, a stark contrast to the cold, dark world of my dreams.I always had trouble sleeping because of them.I closed my eyes.

  Then, a couple of maids came in to help me get dressed.After all, the dresses in this world were impossibly complicated and hard to wear.Though  I sometimes felt like I was being babied.

  They helped me lace my corset, with my dress, and my makeup.However, since I was kind of in a rush to finish quickly, the maids gave me a simpler dress to wear and less makeup.I ended up finishing in less than ten minutes.

  I then went to meet Alastair.The maids informed me that he was in the library, which was odd.Alastair did not read for fun, only for studying.So that meant he was looking for me.

  I walked quickly to the library and Alastair was still there, browsing books.

  "Ah, I knew you'd come here, Astraea."Alastair said, sitting down on a chair.

  I sat down on the chair opposite him.

  "So, what happened while you were in captivity?"Alastair asked, sipping coffee.

  I froze.Well, here we go, do I speak the truth or not?My world had been flipped upside down after what I saw and learnt.I was on the bad guy's side the entire time.Everything I fought for was a lie.Would one question their existence if they were me?

  "I was on the wrong side the entire time, all of you were."I explained, "I know you worship Trinity since she created...us.However, she was wrong and Accina was right.Accina didn't kill Trinity's child out of jealousy, she did it cause the baby was harming the species Trinity created."

  Alastair's eyes widened.

  "So that's why you didn't tell me, as it goes against the very religon I follow."Alastair said, chuckling.

  "Yes, Historians did not understand the context of the situation."I replied, "No one is truly good or evil.Accina's methods were questionable but she wasn't the evil goddess that everyone said she was."

  "But I don't understand, Emmeline and Accina brainwashed the king.If they are the logically just side to be on, why would they kill the King?" Alastair asked.

  "Because the King was evil anyways." I said, showing Alastair a document, "This document shows that the late King participated in the slave trade of Blaese Empire children.He is, simply to put it, a disgrace to the royal family of the Kingdom of Heilos."

  Alastair's brows narrowed at the sight of the document.

  "I see.Well, that is a terrible act.I guess Emmeline and Accina were right after all."Alastair said, "However, I also have to inform you that Emmeline can use blood magic. You know the requirements for it."

  My eyes widened.Of course I knew. One had to slay 100,000 people to be able to use blood magic.So was Trinity right or wrong?!

Author's Notes:Sorry that I haven't updated in awhile.I was getting used to me new sch :3 But now that a new chapter is put, please enjoy! :D