Semifinals

The past four days have been both challenging, and amazing.I never got to experience having such power in my previous life.

  To be honest, I depended heavily on Adam to protect me from my family and bullies at school.I was weak and powerless, so I thought that I should become smart to make up for being the typical socially inept teenager.So become smart I did, by studying a lot. Apart from studying, I had the hobby of writing.

   I would write about girls like me. Girls that were cast aside by their horrible families, but preserved.I wrote on Wattpad and paired up with an artist friend of Adam's to make a Webtoon.It was rather successful and I used those funds to get out of my horrible household.

  I really wanted to go back.I had so many things to say to Adam.Trinity put my body into a coma for the time being.I may be able to impersonate Astraea but Astraea could not impersonate me.At least that is what Trinity told me the previous day.

  Once again, I walked into the arena. After the winner is decided tomorrow, there will be a ball on the final day.I had a few friends that I wanted to make there.

  From my limited knowledge, I knew Emmeline had a 'sidekick'.However, from her actions, it was more like her minion.Plus, she looked like one too.

  After doing some research with Eos this morning, I found out that her name was Maisie Caroline Dobbs. She was the daughter of a baron, and had honey blonde hair and brown eyes. That was all the information Eos knew about her.

  The reason why she had a monopoly over the beauty industry.Maisie herself made a cosmetic company named Ora©.Even though the family lied that the father was the one that started the company, it was actually Maisie that came up with the idea and founded the company.Ora® showed everyone just how lucrative the beauty industry was.

  I tied up my hair, that was why I had to get all this over with as fast as possible.

  It was the semifinals, so I was bound to meet a powerful opponent.I would be fighting a darkness mage.The dark magic prodigy, Marquisette Carmilla Druida Cyncaine.Druida also earned the the nobel prize of making a new "spell" for dark magic.Shadow monsters called Tenebrae, which was literally 'shadows' in Latin.Carmilla was the one that created them.She thought if darkness could have spikes and can morph into anything, then a sentient shadow would be possible.

  I actually had an equal match.

  "Lady Astraea Asterisk, you seem to be lost in thought."Carmilla chided.

  Right, the fight started fifteen seconds ago but the two of us just stood there.Call Carmilla crazy but she was wearing a blood-red dress and hairpiece while in a fight.Sure, the hem was till the ankle, but who can even fight in that dress with heels?I had a really bad feeling about this.

  "Well, we should start, shouldn't we?"I asked.

  Carmilla rolled her eyes, chuckling. She smiles at me confidently.

  "I like to take my time."Carmilla replied, "Rushing into things gives you alot of blind spots, after all."

  Carmilla's gaze drifted to me, as if she was studying me head to toe in an uninterested manner.

  Tenebrae leaped towards me from all sides, taking me by surprise.I emmited light, to which the Tenebrae screeched and ran.I knew their weakness was light, just like that other guy.However, the Tenebrae were sure damn persistent.They would jump to their deaths into the light, scratching me before they die.

  Carmilla made these real, living sentient beings out of shadow and were sending them to their deaths. Unlike the dark mage previously, these ones were loyal enough to jump to their deaths to kill the enemy. spikes of shadow pierced through the light, which I promptly dodge.

  The worst part was that I did not even have time to react.The semifinalists were definitely the best of the crop.

  I could not do worse at dodging the attacks.I often failed at doing so and got scratched or cut.

  With small wounds and cuts everywhere, I exhausted easily. Carmilla...she was the best dark magic mage apart from Zareth Tenebrae I think.However, that's just the power of being one of the male leads.

  I teleported behind Carmilla, poisoned arrow in hand.Just one tiny cut will do...

  Carmilla turns back and slices my arrow in half with her red-hilt sword. The top part of the arrow, including the poisoned arrowhead, flew off. Carmilla started laughing mockingly at me.Her pale face was tinted with red and full of glee while watching me slowly get more desperate.

  "I'm sorry, Lady Astraea, but your only good for staying indoors and creating new spells, no?I believe we can both agree on that."Carmilla said, smiling, "So I'm afraid the fun has to end."

  I gritted my teeth.Both from the feeling of humiliation and the pain of all the little cuts and scratches combined.

  Carmilla runs insanely fast to me, and almost strikes me down with her sword.I block with my lightsaber.

  The head to head combat continued for quite a long while.However, it was clear who was winning.Carmilla's swings were graceful, well thought out and looked like a dance with swords.I, on the other hand, was only fighting on Astraea's instincts.Astraea may be as good as the trainee knights in the Knight's Academy, but Carmilla was fighting as well as a royal knight. She received formal training, while Astraea did not.However, I had a plan.

  Suddenly, my lightsaber was knocked out of my hands.Carnilla raised her sword, ready to bring it down and injure me severely. However, I pulled out a dagger and hit a specific spot on Carmilla's sword. Carmilla's sword broke into two.I smiled.My plan had worked.

  See, good, sharp swords break easily the harder they are swung as they hit another sword.If I kept attacking the same spot on Carmilla's blade, it would chip and eventually break into two.Without her weapon, I at least had a fighting chance.

  Carmilla's eyes widened, then she smiled in manic excitement.

  "Good!As expected of the girl who won two Nobel prizes!"Carmilla cries, her red eyes glowing, "Now show me what you got!"

  I did a null spell to increase physical strength and managed to dodge Carmilla's attacks.I shot arrow after arrow, none of which hit as I dodged.

  The audience were in an uproar. However, I could barely hear the screams and shouts of the audience.I was too focused, so all other sounds were on mute for me.

  Then, I lit up.I shot the hem of Carmilla's dress, making her stumble as her dress tangled.

  I teleported behind Carmilla and hit her on the head with my lightsaber just as she was about to send a spike of darkness through my abdomen.

  I lay on the ground, panting.That was tiring.An entire hour...I sighed.Woe is I for not using that null spell earlier on.I would need alot of plasters.

                            -----------

  "Congratulations on making it to the finals, Lady Astraea."Alastair congratulated me.

  "Thank you.The doctor said that there might be some scarring, so I hope you don't mind it."I said.

  "No, I don't mind it.It just makes my fiancé specail."Alastair says, "Plus, it's not on your face."

  I rolled my eyes.

  "Thank you for the Phyllenite, your majesty.It helped alot."I said.

  "No problem, I just want to win you over."Alastair replied.

  I laughed.Why would he want to do that?He already won Astraea over when they were children.

  "You already have, don't worry."I said.

  Alastair kisses me on the forehead. My face turns red.Never in my previous life-

  "See you next time, Lady Astraea." Alastair said, smiling.

  He then left the room.

Author's Notes:Thank you for 300+ reads :D I made a longer chapter for you guys to celebrate TwT.Have a good day/night!