Chapter 18

Damn. I should've stayed longer. I should've tried to make her laugh again... last night... ugh. I should've just sat down and listened to her. What we had was barely a conversation... I ended up blabbing my mouth for hours until she chimed in to tell me that my phone went off-

Ding

Gina
Are you free?

Jack
Yeah. What's up?

Gina
Nothing much. Just wanted to hang out with you again. Cool?

Jack
Yeah! I can be there in 20. Sounds good?

Gina
Sweet! Sounds perfect.

Shit shit shit shit shit. I can't fuck this up again. She's asking me over after that disaster? What do I wear? Sweats? My flannel? How do I start a conversation with out going on a rant? Shit.

Jack
On my way now.

Gina
See you soon!

Am I just a friend? I don't know. I don't think she has any other guy friends... Does she see me the way I see her? Should I ask her..? Maybe.. I don't want to be lead on.. Shit! Did I miss the turn?! Ugh I need to stop freaking out... I should text her once I get out the car. Would that be too much?

Jack
Walking your way now

Gina
Okayy!

Am I being annoying? I can practically hear her voice in her texts. I hope I don't get lost. Woah. Those are some colorful birds. I wonder if she likes animals. Is that it? Yeah.. it's still pretty far though... should I pick up the pace? Can she see me? Am I taking to long? Let's pick up the pace. Oh! I see her in the window! Run to her. I better not fall off the steps. It's practically a death trap...

"Hey! You got here a lot faster than you said."

"Really? Huh..."

"Thanks for coming over. I was feeling a bit lonely by myself..."

Was I the first person you called..?

"Oh, did your friends not want to hang out?"

"Oh... Actually, I needed a break from them. You know?"

I was.

"Yeah, I get it. I get pretty tired of dealing with my friends too. They each have their own baggage so it gets a bit overwhelming to hang out and deal with it sometimes."

"Wow... you really know exactly how I feel, huh."

I understand you.

"Yeah. I have a pretty big group of friends too. It can take a toll on ya. Too much social work to keep up with em all."

"Haha! Yeah, I definitely feel that."