Chapter 16

He tossed and turned trying to get comfortable enough to sleep but his mind won't let him. He felt strangely awake for how late it was. Thoughts spinned and danced in his brain as he laid restless in bed. Eventually, he gave up and got out of bed to go for a walk outside around his home. Grabbing his jacket and slipping on his crocs he gave in to the temptation and called his new contact.

The phone rang and rang but no one picked up. Sighing he stuffed his phone back in his pocket and just kept walking in disappointment and a bit of relief. He was a nervous wreck after all. He had no plan. It was out of pure impulse. He mumbled out curses towards himself not confident that she'd even remember him.

He already gave a bad first impression when he was out with his friends that night. They're a bunch of jerks times ten when they were together. Asking her personal questions and flirting. Of course, Jack wasn't one if the flirting guys but he did ask her some personal questions he had no business asking.

He was forced out of his thoughts when he heard his phone ring. He panicked and grabbed it out of his pocket to see if he was right to be panicking. Yup. Gina's name was on his dark screen as the phone rung loudly. He took a deep breath and picked up, the phone almost slipping from his sweaty palms as he did.

"Aye?"

"Hey, I'm so sorry I couldn't find my phone when you called."

"O-oh uh it's fine... you know who I am?"

"Yup! Scat told me she gave you my number so I figured I'd ask for yours so I'd know when you'd call."

"Oh..."

"...are you okay Jack?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm sorry I called so late... I just wanted to apologize for the other night."

"No, you're fine. You didn't do-"

"I did. Those questions were uncalled for. I know I must have made ya uncomfortable..."

"... are you sure you're okay? You sound... off. You know what? I just got off work and am not tired at all so, you wanna talk in person?"

"You're alright with seeing me again?"

"Don't worry about it Jack. Where do you wanna meet?"

"Uh, I'll come to you. That'll probably make things easier. U-uh... can-"

Ding

"Okay! Sent you my location. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"O-oh! Uh- yeah!" Hanging up he just stood there for a few moments to let reality sink in.

Snapping out of it, he quickly sent the family group chat that he was going out for some hours. He ran to the jeep nervous but excited to see her. Was this a date? Was she just being nice? That didn't matter right now. All he knew is that his crush invited him over and he'll be damned if he didn't take up on her offer.

He talked to himself on the drive there. Both practicing what to say and hyping himself up about it in hopes it'll help get rid of his studder. Nope. Not a chance. If anything it seemed to get worse.

Seeing her waving in the distance he pulled up next to her and unlocked the doors. She quickly got in and gave him a huge smile. He choked. He thought he was going to her home but here she is in the car with him.

"HI! I hope you don't mind... sorta just hopped in ha ha!"

"N-no i-it's fine! Just took me by surprise is all."

"Heh, yeah I figured. I'd invite you in but my parents are total wackos. Just keep driving down that way. I know a sweet spot to hang out!"

The drive seemed to take forever eventhough it was actually just three minutes down the same street. She did the talking the whole time. She seemed to be happy to talk to him. She also seemed to be trying her best to make him comfortable. He may have been nervous but if there's one thing he knows how to do it's listen.

He paid close attention to her every word. The way she'd pronounce certain words made it obvious English wasn't her mother tongue. He smiled. So she wasn't from here either.

"Stop here."

Pulling into a parking spot at a children's playground he parked and unlocked the doors before realizing where he was.

"A playground?"

Gina gave him a serious look and after a few moments of silence spoke up.

"I'm going to take you to a tree house in the woods back there. It's a secret... don't tell anyone about it. And if you're wondering why I'd take you there if it's a secret then I'd like you to know I feel safe there at this time of night."

Jack simply nodded and gave her a small smile and got out to open her door for her. She looked more than just surprised when he not only opened her door but held his hand out for her.

"Gina?"

When he spoke it seemed to take her out of her state of utter confusion and she quickly took his hand and got out. She sheepishly smiled at him and thanked him.

Neither of them spoke as they walked and it was killing him. He kicked himself for not being the starter of the coversation and out of impulse he began to talk.

"How was work? You get off awfully late."

"It was okay. Pretty loud but what can you do?" A dead end...

"I'm sorry..."

"H-huh? U-uh what for?"

"No one really knows where I work so I feel a bit awkward talking about it with you. I-I mean I know that's how we met but... you know..."

"Oh. Yeah. It was rather surprising but I get it. I'm not going to judge you for it. Like Scat always says. If you got it, flaunt it." She laughed a bit at his pretty spot on impression of Scat.

He mentally high-fived himself for making her laugh. He was on the right track and felt a bit more confident. He kept the conversation going as they walked the rest of the way but he pipped down when he saw the tree house in the distance.

"Wow... it's awesome. Did you build it?"

"Um sorta. I built it with my dad a long time ago but recently I paid some people to give it a pretty nice face-lift."

"Money well spent. It's huge!"

He admired the oversized tree house with stars in his eyes. So much that he didn't notice Gina had already gone in until she yelled for him to snap out of it while laughing. He could feel his face turn hot and simply ran over and climbed up the steps.