Chapter 14

"Slow down. Say that again?"

"Do you know a boy named Jackson?"

"Oh. Hmmm.... Oh yeah! A curly haired ginger with pale blue eyes? I just met him today at work."

"What? What was he doing there?"

"Well he was mostly there with his friends. They wanted some info and after that they all hung around and talked to me. Oh yeah, he did say he knew you too. Why? How do you know him?"

"Gina that's my brother. I had to pick him up from the middle of nowhere tonight! What time did they leave your job?"

"Umm pretty late. They left like at 2:30ish?"

"Okay. Hey, I'm sorry... I was just really confused about this whole thing... oh, um... He asked me for your number by the way and I did add you to his contacts."

"Oh! Okay, well I've got to get back to work."

"This late?"

"Yeah... pulling a 12 hour tonight ha. Sorta muted on our group call when I left for work. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure. Goodnight."

She laid her head down wondering what the whole thing was about. Did Scat worry she'd get with her brother? She wasn't sure but made a mental note to keep her distance from him until she got a chance to properly speak with Scat. It sure was late... Maybe she could leave a bit earlier tonight.

Nope, not a chance. By the time she left work it was a bit past 6. She hurried home and washed up to get in her bed to catch up on some much needed rest. Soon, she was in her bed and already dozing adrift. She set her alarm for 12 and rested.

The next morning she was woken up by a pot of ice cold water being poured on her face. She immediately jumped out of the bed. Looking at her mother she didn't say a word. Simply gave an apologetic look and bowed her head before making her way to the door.

"What the hell? You're here? Then why the fuck is the house still dirty?! Ugh just get the fuck out, you're wetting my floors you stupid bitch."

"..."

Leaving she closed the door behind her and walked towards her tree house. She was then caught off guard when she heard someone's car honk. Looking over she noticed her ginger friend in a jeep waving her over. Gina stood there, dumbfounded but decided to just go with it. She went up to the car and got in.

"Goddamn you're soaking wet. Anyway,  I wanted to properly apologize to you for last night and possibly buy you some breakfast?"

"That sounds really nice. Thanks, babe. I was actually wanting to ask you about that."

"Yeah I figure. I guess I just felt protective of you. My brother isn't a bad guy but he is a 20 year old drop out. I don't want him to drag you down, ya know? But he seems to like you a lot so if you want to try things out I promise I won't be weird like last night."

The girls sat in silence for a moment in the car then finally Gina apologized for wetting her car seat. Coming up with a story to explain how it happened. Scat simply smiled and told her it was okay and that she didn't need to worry about it. She didn't care.

"Come on. I'll lend you some clothes of mine."

"Is this a good idea? Is Jack home?"

"Nah he's at work right now. If your folks are mad enough to soak you then I doubt they'll let you back inside."

"But I never told you-"

"I'm not stupid Gina."

"...oh... right." She started the car and drove back home. Why was the day going by so fast?

She's never been to Scat's house before. They sure had a good bit of land. Not a lot but a good bit for sure. She looked around at the hand made wood homes on the oversized lawn and began to ask questions. Turned out that her father was quite the wood worker. So much in fact, he was able to save enough to buy all of the land they have today.

Scat announced her return and that she brought a friend upon entering through wood double doors. Her parents quickly came and greeted the guest and Scat pulled her away into her room to lend her some clothes.

Drying off and changing into a cute romper, she decided on doing her hair last minute alongside her friend. They picked up an in depth conversation about hair products and eachothers hair routines. They had a bit of a bonding moment over using Garnier argan oil and scalp massagers.

Gina gave her redhead friend two dutch braids and made sure to tie the ends with red hair ties she had that matched her hair. Scat then did Gina's hair. She brushed out her angled curly bob and decided on doing a wet look with her curls. Finally, the girls were nearly done. They spent a while looking for shoes that matched their outfits and after they finally did, went out to the green jeep to get some food.

Deciding on a cuban café, they got a cute table by the window and looked over to the board to read their menu options. She felt as if she was still waking up.

"Mix your ice cream in your favorite coffee? Sounds good to me! So.... two cookie dough mochas?"

"Ooooo yeah! And can you get the omelet for me too? With a bagle mini?"

"Sure! Alrighty, be right back."

She watched her friend walk over to the lady at the front desk to order the food. She smiled to herself feeling appreciative that she didn't have to be the one to buy the food this time. Her ears twitched at the sound of awful laughter. Just a couple of nobodies talking about Scat. Ugh, she was having such a good time too.

One of the boys got up and began to walk over to her as she was ordering. She didn't know what came over her but her body did what it had to. Quickly she got up and grabbed the guy by his sleeve and dragged him back to his table. Snatching his arm away, he was about to yell until he saw her face. A wide smile decorated it with squinted eyes that twisted and she shook as she parted her lips to speak.

"Stay the fuck away from her."

"...Or what, bitch?"

"I'll give you a free sex change." Cold sweat appeard on the boys palms and he quickly sat down mumbling curses the whole time.

His friend was starting to say something when he simply told him to drop it noticing the girl reaching for the flower vas on the nearest table. Scoffing, she walked back over to her seat and sat, waiting for Scat whilst trying to calm down.

"Gina? You okay?"

"Yup!"