31 Open

(MINOR CUSSING)

After shopping, you ended up with a few new sets of clothes, and more importantly, some roller blades. You've thought about using them to move around easier in the bar since it will definitely be packed. Skating will make it faster to give out the orders.

Opening the door to your home, you notice that the room was empty. Dad must of gone to bed already. Shrugging, you walk through the living room to your bedroom. Unpacking the bags, you sorted everything out into hangers and such.

Taking up the skates, you put them on.

"Let's see if I can still remember how to do this.."

Pushing away from your body with one foot, you slide across the wooden flooring. With the success, you repeated the action.

"Alright... cool. Smooth so far."

Moving into a steady rhythm, you slide out of the bedroom, steadying yourself on the wall. Finally, you push off it, moving smoothly!

Until you run over a small bump that separated the two rooms.

Falling over, you crashed onto the floor.

"OH MOTHER FU—UUuuun. Fun. Dammit," you stop yourself from cussing, pulling yourself back up using the nearby couch. Hopefully you didn't wake up your father, but he was a heavy sleeper.

Still determined to re-teach yourself, you spend the next few hours skating around the house, cleaning up and making food. You practice holding trays and books to prepare for work tomorrow. After a while, you notice it's about 8 AM out, early-ish morning. At this point, you're pretty good at skating again, enjoying the feeling the childish activity gave you.

Going back up to your room, you remove the skates and change for bed. Falling asleep after scrolling aimlessly on your phone.

——————

You awoke to light blinding you and an alarm blaring by your ear. You jolt up in a sitting position, snatching up the phone and shutting off the aggravating sound. You pull yourself out of bed, rubbing your eyes.

You had to rearrange your sleep schedule again since work will be starting up. It's about 3 pm so you had plenty of time to get ready and arrive at work.

Spending the next hour running through your morning routine, you decide to head on a walk.

"Maybe it'll be nice to get some fresh air," you reason, hoisting up your bags to your shoulder. Leaving and locking the door, you set off.

The air outside smelt tainted and definitely not 'fresh' but it was what you had. You've already checked the way to go on Maps and all that so you just walked.

Lots of cars sped past, thought no fully stopped traffic due to it being the middle of the work day. Some joggers and middle aged mothers littered the sidewalks, trying to get back in shape after years of abusing their bodies. A few younger kids ran around, playing tag and getting chased. It reminded you of when you were little.

You smiled softly at the memories. You kept a steady pace, nothing and no one interrupting the walk. Soon enough, you reach the familiar building. The dulled orange of the wood feeling almost nostalgic from how your father described it.

The time was 4:53.

You unlock the door with the employee key you were given. You enter and close the door behind you. As the bell chimes, the room suddenly grows hotter as a miniature sun flys at you.

You quickly go to cover your face with your arms but feel no impact, though a your beginning to swelter as the heat remained in front of you.

"Who's there?!" A voice from ahead.

"Boss?" You call out, recognizing the owner of the said voice.

"Y/N? Oh wow, I apologize. I've misplaced my glasses and you startled me- why are you so early?"

"It's..." you lowered your hands, checking the time from your phone once the heat fizzled away. "4:54? Here, let me help you."

You walk up, picking Grillby's glasses off the floor and placing them in his hand. He seemed grateful.

"Thank you, I do apologize. I believed you to be another intruder." He quickly readjusted his glasses on his face. Now you question how he needs them. Or how they even stay on. He's literal fire.

"Have you been robbed recently?" You ask, concerned. You follow him to the back as he sorts out a few loose items.

"Well, yes. Being a monster run establishment comes with risks such as monster racists.." He didn't seem angry, more like peeved or just tired. You slide off your shoes and put on your roller skates, listening to him talk. "It happens, I'm just glad they left quickly. Nothing important was taken. They're main goal was really just to 'rough me up' so to say."

"I'm sorry to hear, Mr. Grillby. Some people are dicks."

"Well, as I said, it happens. It's unavoidable sadly but you do what you must in the big city," he shrugged, pulling out a few loose bottles from a shelf and starting to walk back to the main bar. "We're about to open, are you ready?"

You nod, grabbing an apron and tying it around your waist. You follow him back out, the sound of clicking shoes and quieting wheels felt almost calming after the conversation.

You noticed a few people gathered outside the door. They quickly piled in after Grillby unlocked the door and flipped the sign to 'Open'.

It was nice hearing the cheers of the drunk to-be's piling in. They must of missed their favorite bar. You noticed how the same usual people clamored into the same seats, like they were assigned desks in a classroom.

You quickly grabbed a few small menus and began rolling around to tables. It was a seat yourself bar so you just passed out the plastic covered papers to anyone in a chair.

A few pleasant hello's and welcome back's were exchanged as you smiled at the happy environment. Pulling out your notepad, you began getting ready to take orders.

—————
Big thanks to TheWhiteRabb GothUT04 for commenting, it's always a delight to see people enjoying my work and a huge thank you to AshinaUzumaki ffor voting on literally every chapter! I was shocked to see 30 notifications in the corner, it made me so happy!

Happy almost Valentines everyone!