18 Explain

WARNING: SWEARING

It's so blurry.

Your eyes flick from place to place as muscle memory carries you through the air. It's more sloppy, but the audience doesn't know. Flames lick your skin as hoops grow smaller. Your eyes dry with the heat. Time passes faster and faster till it's over.

Doing your final spin, you stumble and land next to Headmaster. His only emotion seems to be feigning ignorance and performance cheer. You smile weakly while waving to the audience. The rest of the cast comes out for bows.

Linking arms with the two that crowd next to you. Headmaster stands tall and proud, leaning down with your cast mates following. Cheer and roars deafen your ears. Standing straight, all of you wave as everyone makes their way backstage.

Once everyone cleared off the stage, the cast started chatting excitedly to one another. Slipping away, you excused yourself to the lockers. Being inside with everyone felt suffocating. Quickly changing out of your costume and packing it neatly in the designated box, you take your bag and leave. The outside air was refreshing, the smog from cars and smoke of cigarettes barely registered to you as you exhale.

Looking down at your hands, you realize you're shaking. Trembling. Crying.

Crying?

You reach up a hand to your face, feeling a wet streak on your cheek. Wiping your eyes in an attempt to dry them, you hold down your chokes and sniffing to try to calm yourself. Why are you crying? Nothing happened? Your fingers gently hit your face as they continue to tremble without your minds permission.

"Feathers?"

Eyes shooting up to the voice, you see your friend standing to your side, hands in his pockets and his frown slightly opened like a humans would, but his teeth remained locked shut. His white lights in his sockets dilated to about the sizes of quarters, widening from their thinner look. Concern.

"You okay kiddo?" A hand reached out, clasping your shoulder. Your trembling worsened, becoming more violent and shaken as more tears started to fall. His eyes ran dark as the two of you hear muffled voices from the tent growing louder.

His hand tensed, the ground under you was dropped and kicked away as you loose your balance. Your eyes squeezed shut as you grab onto sans for stability. The silent sobbing turns into a yelp before the ground finally returns. What must have been only a second felt like slow motion. Now a days you wouldn't of slipped but right now is different.

You both stood on a roof, maybe a block away from the circus since you could barely make out it's points above the rooftops. The two of you were next to a small concrete box that only had a door that probably led to some stairs down into whatever building you were on.

A moment of silence passes till you hiccup and sob again.

"Hey! Hey! It's alright feathers.. it's all good. Now relax and walk me through what's troublin ya.."

You lift your head to look up at him. God... you must look like a mess.. Rubbing your eyes, you try to catch your breath.

"Ok let's start before the show. Why were you crying? Did the cast do somethin to ya? The ring leader?"

"No no, n-nothing like that I... it's just happened so fast- I didn't think he'd actually..."

"He?"

"Carter! Fucking Carter! I came home and he was there! H-he threatened me a-and then mom! He said she would be okay but she WASNT. She was DEAD and he KILLED HER! And I. Wasn't.  THERE!" You grabbed your head, anger piling up and flooding out in a continuous cycle. Sans's eyes where dark and void. He was serious and shocked.

He attempted to reach out to you, to offer some help. Your eyes flung open and you smacked his hand away. "YOU PROMISED! YOU- you promised you'd keep him away! To keep me safe from him! You lied!"

"Kid, I didn't know- I thought we had him.." his voice was mellowed and quiet.

"You said you would... and now I lost her..." your voice was barely a whisper. That anger drained as you tried to keep standing. "Dad can't look at me, carters still out there, and I'm just a fucking mess..."

You slump down against the wall, your energy drained as your hands trail down your head to your face. Your wings ache with the pressure against them as small burns sting with a soft breeze.

"Feathers- Y/N... ya don't know how sorry I am. I thought we had enough security on him. We underestimated him still..."

You keep silent, you could barely stand right now, to tired to speak anymore. Sans took a deep breath and sighed. He took a seat to your right, propping up one leg and leaning back onto the wall. Following his motion, you slide down the rocky surface and cross your legs.

"Ya know... I neva knew my mom," he started, shrugging his shoulders. "Didn't know if she was dead or alive. If she left us cuz she wanted or had to run cuz she had ta."

You look over at him, gazing away from the very perplexing floor.

"It was only G. Me and paps think he's our dad anyway. Either way, G took care a' us for as long as I can remember. Me and paps used to say "it's the two of us against the world!" and G had to keep an eye on us because that always led to something breaking. Heh.." sans would chuckle slightly, reflecting. His Boston accent fading out. One of his hands rubbed the back of his skull as he spoke. "Even if I never knew my mom, I had all the childhood I needed with paps and G. You've had your childhood too. You're a working young lady who does her best to help her family. I can see that, but I can't say I know the feeling either. Just know this Y/N, we'll always be there to help ya. No matter what, okay? And if that means animal abuse then so be it."

He'd end with a shrug, chuckling louder now. You join in, the atmosphere turning light and airy. More relaxed. He was right too.

A soft blush warmed your face as you smiled. You're glad he was on your side, it felt nice. Sure, sans was a powerful and dangerous mobster but he was always funny and thoughtful. In your darkest thoughts he managed to cheer you up.

But this can't last forever. This moment can't be the only one. You eventually had to go to the hotel to you father. You'll eventually have to see Carter again. But you'll also see sans and paps again.

Turning your head back to sans you smile. "We're gunna beat his ass."

He chuckled and winks at you. "Oh ya we will, feathers. He's gunna have a bad time."

—————————————————————

Huge thank you to Nettythekitten for voting on my book! I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to vote it! I'll do my best to put out more work for this book! Have a great day everyone!