19 Father

It's been about an hour since the show and your talk with sans. You just entered Headmasters office, for at the end of every show week in Colorado you have to determine pay and times for next year. Knocking on the door, you hear him answer.

"Hello sir, sorry I'm late.." you'd mutter, stepping into the room and gently closing the door.

"It's no problem Y/N, it's only a few minutes. Please take a seat," he'd wave his hand, dismissing your words and motioning you to sit. Nodding, your wings press against your back to make room on the soft, velvet chair that sat in front of his table. The soft mahogany wood shone in the sunlight that seeps into the room, the bare, wooden planks on the floor thumped as you slid forward. The desk light presented a few sheets of paper littered in front of the two of you as your attention returns back to the man ahead of you with a clearing of the throat.

"So, y/n, as you know your absence in the shows brought a few complaints from the audience," you were about to speak before he cuts you off. "I do not blame you, it was out of your control."

You sigh in relief, grateful for the understanding and wait for him to continue.

"But. I also can't pay you for those days either. Since the injuries happened off campus and off work hours, I can't legally give you pay for those accidents. You will be compensated for the three days you were performing," he'd explain the situation, you'd chew your lip slightly, being worried. He'd open a small container and pull out 500 dollars, handing them to you. "I wish you the best y/n, maybe you'll bring in more audience members from other states since you're a local specific performer. You'll be paid more if that happens."

With a nod, you'd stand and make your way out, clutching the cash to your chest. This is less than half of what you're usually payed, luckily the police chief is paying for the hotel but that won't last forever. Soon you'd need to go back to the house once it's cleaned. You'll need to give a testimony, you'll need to deal with Carter, you'll need to deal with dad.

You stop walking. Glancing around at your surroundings, you feel lost. Which direction did you go? Did you save the hotel address? Pulling out your phone from your bag, you scroll to the maps app finding that you did not, in fact, save the location.

Groaning to yourself, you smack your face a few times. "Damn it man...this is the best time to forget this kinda stuff!" Sarcasm drips from your voice. A sigh later and you're up in the air, scanning the city below. There was a Target nearby the hotel and a small bar house to its left. Flying over to the carnival tent, you'd spin around till your eyes land on the direction you may of came from.

What was it... 10... 15 minutes away?

Shaking your head, wings beating rhythmically, you start soaring in the air, cutting through the smoke and smog of the polluted streets. Squinting your eyes to find the landmarks of the hotel, your only real option right now.

As you fly, you see your local grocery store. You might need some food at the hotel. Slowing down slightly, your eyes linger on the small shop. Later. You'll do it... later. Sucking in a breath, you dart off, continuing to search. Continuing to move. Continuing to think.

Bzzt bzzt

Your phone is ringing.

Bzzt bzzt

Answer it.

Bzzt bzzt

Hurry up.

Grabbing your phone, you press the green answer button and put it to your ear.

"Hello?"

"Y/n, where are you?"

"Hey dad.. I'm on my way back already."

"Good, I'll see you there."

"Wait!"

"Yes?"

"Could you... Uhm... send me the address?"

"Sure. See you at the hotel."

"Okay... bye dad.."

-Call Ended-

You looked at your phone, staring at the two words. You felt tears prick your eyes as your face felt hot. Your grip on your phone strengthened ever so slightly as your hand shook. He was so cold to you. So empty. You miss him.

You miss dad.

Bzzt
————
'Caw-ther'
Hotel address

...
————

Pressing the address link, you follow the directions, wiping your eyes to stop yourself from crying in front of him.

Soon enough you land at the doors of the building. Pulling out your card, you wave to the staff and go into the elevator. Taking a deep breath and calming yourself down, the card clutched in your hand, and the doors opening, you stalk towards your room.

401

402

403

404

405

406

You unlock the door, stepping inside and closing the door behind you. Glancing around, you see the lights on in the small kitchen/living room area. There on the couch is your father, his regular feathers droopy and her feathery ears that usually stood tall above his head now fall to his shoulders. His posture usually firm now was slouched. He just looked... sad.

"Dad?"

His head perked up, turning to look at your direction. Almost a good 180 degrees. His expression was sorrowful. He looked broken.

"Please sit down y/n.."

Following his command, you softly plop yourself next to him, slightly bouncing on the mattress of the pull out bed.

"Look..." he began, eyes locked on the floor. "I know it feels like I've been avoiding you hun. It's just.. I loved your mother so much. It hurts to see my son-  ...Carter- do this. She only ever loved him. Loved us. And it broke me to find her... gone. If only I was there, if I took my break, if I tried- she would still be with us."

You let your father speak as you thought on his words. He was hurting just as much as you. The exact same thoughts. The same sadness. The same depression. The same guilt. He was doing his best in a time like this.

"I feel horrible for pushing you away y/n. You just remind me of her so much. But it was selfish of me to act as if I was the only one hurting because of it. You loved your mother just as much as I did. Just know that I will always love you and I will never do anything to hurt you," his hand cupped your cheek, finally looking into your eyes. Tears pricked at his own. "I'll always love you.."

You wrap him in a hug, both of you sobbing quietly into each other as you share the feelings and memories of her.

M/N L/N.

Your mother. Your family. She may be gone now but she'll always live with you. And if not you, then your father. Anything for her to survive. Anything for your family to be whole.

You didn't leave the hotel for the rest of the day. Or the day after. But you'll have to soon, for generosity has its limits and it ends with your home being ready.

You have to be ready.

———————

Thank you again to Nettythekitten for voting on chapter 18! I hope you have a wonderful day/night!