20 Hiring

You need a job.

You've already made a resume as your old one that you used was still at home. The officer said that they only need a few more hours and will be done around 3 pm.

Your dad said he'll start packing up the hotel room so you have the day to take interviews. Landing on the sidewalk, you start wandering. There are a bunch of help wanted signs littered about. Some in restaurants, bars, small shops, the grocery store, and then some. You spot a certain bar on the corner. A "Gillys". Oh wait no, that says 'Grillbys'. The 'B' was turned off.

A small, plain 'help wanted' sign hung in the window. Shrugging, you'd walk in. Your father loved this place from what you've heard. He said whenever he was in Snowdin he'd visit the bar.

You'd hear the small chiming of a gold bell above the door, the smell of fries and burgers flood your nose. The place was filled with all sorts of monsters, and a few humans too. There was a large table on one side, a few booths on the other, a bar at the back, and a small stage with a jukebox in the right corner. There was a wooden door on the left corner which probably led to a back room or office.

You walk up to the bar to see a tall man (?) made of fire in a nice tux. He looked up (maybe?) at you and nodded a greeting.

"Welcome to Grillbys, how may I help you?" He said, setting down a dry cup.

"Uhm, hey! My names Y/N and I saw your help wanted sign outside? I have my resume and everything."

He'd nod and motion you to follow him, leading you to the earlier door and letting you in.

Behind was a small office with a dark oak desk that shone a bit weirdly, but you didn't question it. He'd sit on the back side and you'd sit in front of him, passing your resume to him. Without touching it, he'd read over the paper.

"You work for the... circus?" He'd say, looking up.

"Ya, well.. part time, but yes. Whenever they're in town I join it. That's why I'm looking for work right now." You'd explain.

"Hm. Well, I only have a few questions then. Can you make drinks, wait tables, clean up after hours, sing or perform in any sort of way and what hours can you work?" He'd list of questions on his hands.

"Well I can make some drinks, not many alcoholic ones but I learn quickly. Waiting tables should be easy enough, as well as cleaning. I'd like to say I'm pretty decent at singing and I do perform in the circus but that stage back there may be to small for my act. For hours, I can really do whenever." You'd try to mark each question with an answer, keeping track in your head.

"Well then, you can start as a waitress tomorrow. Your pay would be about $12.56 plus tips working from 5pm to 2am. I'll get an uniform for you by tomorrow as well. If anything happens on the job, please come to me and I'll take care of it. Is that alright?"

"That's amazing! Thank you very much! I'll be here before 5 for the uniform. Thanks again." You'd stand and grab your bag as you watch his flames die down in his hands. He stores the resume and stands as well.

Walking out of the back room, you happily wave at the owner and leave the building. Positively giddy with your victory. Job hunting usually takes a long time but this year was easy.

You put in some music and step to the beat of the song, smiling to yourself as you walk down the street. You almost didn't hear the angry yelling. You almost didn't hear the screaming. You almost.

Pulling out the ear bud, you turn around to see a middle aged woman with black hair running at you, screaming like a banshee. What you failed to notice, before your top was sharply tugged, was a small kid. You couldn't really tell their gender. They were wearing a dark blue vest with thin white lines going down it and similar colored pants. They had a small cyan tie and their hair was brown, neatly brushed (ending just at their shoulders), and straight.

Their eyes were squeezed shut and the kids hands gasped at your clothes, hiding behind your wings. At the kids obvious fright, you extended your wings to encompass the kid, wrapping them in a small cocoon to hide them from view.

Soon enough, the woman reached you, almost passing you before noticing the lack of an escapee. Swiveling on her heels, she stuck her finger in your face.

"Listen here MONSTER. You're going to tell me where that child went!" She screamed, slurring the word 'monster'.

"Dunno what you mean, but I prefer if you'd step back. And lower your voice too."

"YOU do not get to tell ME what to do!"

"But didn't you just-"

"SHUT UP! TELL ME WHERE SHE WENT!"

"Fine fine. Good god... that way, you blind ass bitch..." you muttered the last part but the lady seemed too pissed to care.

"FINALLY! You monsters are all so god damn stupid!" She spat before storming off.

Once she turned the street you unfurled your wing, honestly shocked on how she didn't notice.

"You okay kiddo?" You'd crouch down to the little kids level. They would nod, a smile now on their face. They'd start moving their hands in what you recognized at signs, you frowned at yourself for never learning ASL.

"I'm sorry kid, I don't know sign language. But how about this.." you'd scavenge through your bag till you pulled out a small post-it stack and a pen, handing them to the kid. "You can write... right?"

They'd nod eagerly and immediately write something down, passing it back. 'My name is Frisk!'

"That's a nice name! Where are your parents? I don't want you out here all alone with that crazy lady."

The kid, now know as frisk, seemed to hesitate before pointing behind you. Glancing that direction, you immediately connect that it's the way the lady left.

"Oh.."

"Uhm..."

Frowning as you try to think of what to do next, you hear a voice grow louder.

"OH HUMAAAAAANN!!"

The said child immediately perks up at the voice and runs over to it, once they turn the corner, the two collide in a hug. You notice a tall, fish like monster from a week or so back. They were wearing a similar styled outfit.

"FUHUHUHU! THERE YOU ARE HUMAN! I WAS WONDERING WHERE YA RAN OFF TO."

You rub your arm awkwardly, kinda nervous. You didn't really know her. Her attention eventually drifted to you, eyes narrowing.

"I know you..."

You immediately stiffened, her voice was cold and piercing, her gaze locked onto you. You shifted under the weight of her stare.

"Oh, you're the monster sans brought back 'bout a week ago. Whaddya doin with the human. Did you hurt them? I swear if you laid a single finger on them I'll-" the fish began to stalk over to you before being stopped by Frisk. They signed something and pointed at you.

"Oh. Uhm.." the fish hesitated before walking over to you again, before your fight or flight kicked in, you noticed they reached out their hand. A handshake. "Sorry about that, dude. Names Undyne."

"No problem.. I think. My names (Y/N)."
You took her hand expecting a regular handshake only to be practically tossed around violently. Finally stabilizing, you had to take a second to remember how to breathe.

"Welp, thanks for lookin after the kid. I owe ya one," she said, turning around with a small salute. She placed her hand on Frisks back and moved them along, talking about ice cream or something of the sort.

Rubbing your head, you feel a migraine coming on. Just one mishap of the day. It's all good. You got a job, you met someone new, someone yelled at you- you're moving back home. It'll be fine.

Exhaling and spreading your wings, you decide that was enough walking for today and fly to the hotel. May as well help out, right?