2:24

Lena and Five left the destroyed house together, her arm slung over his shoulders and his securely around her waist as she leant against him, limping.

The snow had been disrupted, painting pictures of multiple fights, but the footsteps all led back to the barn and so thats where they headed.

When they got to the entrance, no one even glanced at them. Everyone stood staring at Lila as Diego attempted to reach out to her. She had tear tracks down her cheeks and watery eyes.

At the shuffling of her limping inside the barn, Lila stared right past Diego and at her, making them both still.

"I'm sorry, Lena," she covered her mouth with her hand at the sight of the blood down her leg, the blood she had spilled. "I didn't-"

Lena just shook her head with a wavering nod to let her know it was okay, while Five helped get her to the rest of the group.

When Lila turned to Diego, opening her mouth to say something, the scene turned horrific in the split second.

Gunfire burst through the space of the barn and in the shock of it all, everyone's bodies fell one by one with short cries that were cut off so abruptly.

Lena felt her heart leap into her throat as her back hit the ground and she rolled onto her side, the breath knocked out of her. She became very aware of how Five's arm was no longer around her side, leaving her cold.

"No! Diego..." Lila's voice was the only one she could hear, emotion cutting through the barn like a knife with the shuddering silence.

With dizzying sharp inhales, Lena stared down at the blood splattered hay on the ground panic, warmth coating the front and back of her body. Then, the pain hit her in a wave and the tears filled her eyes.

Her hand was clutched against her chest, where blood spilled down between her fingers. A horrific warmth.

"It's true, what Lena said, isn't it?"

The girl tried moving, tried getting the arm beneath herself to lift herself up, but she had no strength and clenched her eyes closed as the pain rushed through her body.

The Handler's heels tapping shocked her body into alertness, blurred vision focusing on what was in front of her.

"Darling, I need to know that we can get past this, be a happy family again." The woman spoke gently, with false sweetness.

The blue uniform in front of her came into focus and she tried reaching a shaky hand out to it. Five was on his back, blood seeping through his clothes onto the ground beneath him. His head was angled away to where she couldn't see his face and a pained whimper escaped her lips.

"They're my real family." Lila protested, backing away. "Do you even love me?"

Another gunshot pierced the air and the thud of a body, making Lena flinch and the boy next to her rasp in a shaky breath.

Her heart pounded in her ears as he turned to stare up at the ceiling, breath clouding in front of his face as he registered the pain in his body.

The Handler shrugged. "Que será, será." Her eyes swept over the massacre, before landing on the two she had hoped to see. She approached them with a grin. "Oh, good! You're still alive."

Lena's hair was covering her face slightly, and when Five blinked through the tears in his eyes, he felt the panic hit him.

"Lucky you." She smiled sickeningly down at Five. "You get to see how this all plays out."

The Handler stood between the two, eyeing them both, while Lena still attempted to reach for his hand, his sleeve, anything. Trying to stretch her arm out to reach was causing her searing agony, but she tried, trembling.