2:25

Upstairs, amidst the dead bodies of the commission assassins and the snow stained crimson, Lena, Five and Diego all approached the two figures who had appeared.

Herb and Dot. She recognised them instantly and a tiny, tired smile was brought to her face, despite how rough she felt.

Five's arm was hooked around her waist as she limped alongside him to meet with them in the field.

She could barely think straight, her limbs sluggish and weighed down by exhaustion, but the boy keeping her upright acted as a crutch to both ground her and keep her awake.

Diego and Herb shook hands, which transformed into some kind of complicated handshake between the two and the young couple stared at them oddly from the side.

"Good to see you guys."

"Mrs Flores! It's been awfully lonely without you brightening the place up." Herb said to her, a polite smile on his wrinkled face.

She chuckled weakly down at the floor.

"Well I am a ray of sunshine." Lena mused. And no matter how many times she told him he didn't have to call her Mrs or miss, he still did, too nervous to try the alternative.

"When you got sent away, it gave us all a purpose to fight back," Dot said earnestly. "It may have taken a long time but we got there in the end."

She grinned, despite how she felt, and looked down at the floor sheepishly. She didn't quite know what to say.

"I mean, I can't believe it." Herb stated, shaking his head. He leant in, lowering his tone. "Is she....?"

"Really dead this time?"

Lena felt Five's hold on her tighten slightly as she muttered, "Well if anyone cares enough to hold a funeral for the bitch, let's just say they'll get a discount on cremation."

The two exchanged a gleeful look and Dot clapped her hands excitedly. "How wonderful!" Before she gasped and covered her mouth. "Oh, I shouldn't have said that, that was cruel."

"She was worse." Five commented without a smile.

"Well, you're not wrong."

He spoke up curiously, then. "Now that the Handler's gone, what happens at Commission?"

Herb looked down sheepishly and Dot nudged him. "Just tell them." She whispered with a smile.

"Well... we need to elect a new board of directors." He glanced at her. "Thanks for that, by the way, Lena."

"You are very welcome." She responded immediately.

"But, until then, I, um... I've been voted in as acting chairperson." He grinned with glee.

They all smiled as Dot squeaked in excitement.

"No shit..." Diego muttered proudly. "Congrats, Herbie. That's huge."

"It's about time the commission had decent leadership." Lena muttered under her breath, making the boy holding her hum absently.

"I'm so goddamn nervous."

"You'll do fine." Five told him earnestly.

"Oh, thank you."

Five and Lena exchanged a look then, hope crawling into their hearts. A dangerous thing for people like them, but they were exhausted and had no other choice.

"Herb, we need a favour."

"Oh, sure, anything."

"A briefcase. Get back home, where we belong." Five proposed.