3:14

When they got back, instead of facing some drabs of peace and quiet like they wanted, the two were faced with an irate, panicked Diego who rushed Five into a room for something urgent

In the silence that followed, it was Lila who found her instead and asked if they could talk.

Lena said yes without thinking, too caught up on the fact she looked so... down and anxious. A set of emotions she rarely imagined Lila experiencing, let alone allowing anyone else to see. It was a glimmer of vulnerability that had her feeling strange.

They sat in the room beside the one Five and Diego were in, and Lila shut the door so they could have some time to themselves.

Hesitantly, Lena scanned her slumped shoulders and fidgeting hands and couldn't help herself.

"What's wrong?"

Lila didn't turn to face her, head down as she sighed.

But when she did, even in the dark bedroom with the curtains drawn shut, she could see the glimmer of wetness beneath her eyes that she quickly tried to hide.

"Lila, what's going on?" She murmured with her eyebrows furrowed.

She chuckled and stared up at the ceiling, trying to fan her tears away un frustration. "I don't even know why I'm crying, he's not even mine..." she muttered before looking at her and splaying her hands. "Um, I lost Stan."

Lena blinked in surprise and hesitated. "Oh."

But she still didn't quite get where this was leading to, or why she was so upset with herself.

She wiped her face and cleared her throat to finally look the girl in the eye. "I think he's been blitzed."

Oh.

Something in her stomach twisted, a hauntingly familiar feeling creeping up on her as she finally understood. Her expression changed as she watched Lila, so out of character for herself, begin to ramble and fiddle with her fingers and pace back and forth.

"And I don't know why I'm so upset by it because he wasn't even mine. I mean, I borrowed him from a friend while his mum was away for the week!" She threw her hands up. "And now he's gone and I feel responsible-"

Her heart stuttered in her chest, achingly so.

Her voice was smaller than she'd have liked. "-lila-"

"-and he was a little shit but for a brief moment it felt like he was really my kid, you know?" She asked desperately. "Like, it was nice, having someone to look after. And I've never seen Diego so..."

She trailed off and Lena frowned, watching as she took a seat on the floor with her back to the wall. She groaned and put her head in her hands.

She hesitated for a moment before walking over and taking a seat beside her, crossing her legs beneath her. Their shoulders brushed as she leant back.