Chapter Forty

HOW TO RUIN ME

I woke the next morning to the most irritating, aggravating voice in the world. Nat, singing the most off key, off beat melody I had ever heard in my life.

"Swing low... swing chariot... coming forth to carry me home..." Nat sang in English and I groaned, squeezing my ears with the pillow and wriggling in bed. "Swing! Low!... Swing cha—riot...."

I grunted, sprang up from the bed and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

"I'm not going to go anywhere until you talk to me!" Nat screamed. I turned on all the water faucets and the shower, flushed the toilets to help drown out his horrible singing, but he only roared on. "SWING LOW!"

Monday came and we were back to work, scrambling to finish what little was left of our projects in preparation of the finale. Nat and I still weren't speaking. It was the longest we had gone without speaking.

He doubled down on his domestic best friend duties: cleaning my room, bringing food and desserts to my office, arranging my desk, all in a bid to win me over. He didn't need to, he had me at Swing Low. But I was afraid to have the 'Ja conversation'. I knew the moment we were back on speaking terms, he'd want to talk about Ja.

I did not want to talk about Ja.

That was going to be our last week hanging out in each other's rooms and playing uno, our last week fighting over who got to pick the movie, our last week bringing each other snacks for no reason, our last week of cuddling, soft kisses, warm smiles. It was two days until the competition and I wanted to hold on to that version of him for as long as I could.

By the time I'd start speaking to Nat again, it'd be over and he wouldn't have to piece me back together since I was prepared and heartbreak proof.

"Here's your strawberry cake and extra sweetened milkshake," Nat said, serving it to me and as he took his seat beside me.

"Why is he the only one getting strawberry cake?" Pure protested. "The rest of us are here."

"Because I said so," Nat retorted.

"Nat, it's high time you returned my kitchen to me, it's getting annoying."

"I live here, it's not your kitchen until you move in which doesn't happen for another month, I get the final say."

"Nat—"

"Honey," Wut cut in, "we are getting a bigger kitchen, remember?"

"But—"

"Honey..."

"Getting a bigger kitchen? Where?" Ja asked, digging into his food.

Wut cleared his throat, leaning back into his seat. "So... we made a decision about where we want to live after we get married."

"That's great," Ja smiled. "And?"

"We decided to build our dream home in the countryside, an hour ride away from the city. I'll be taking a hybrid role with work and Phi Wut will be spending more time farming," Pure explained, rubbing Wut's back as they shared a tender stare.

"Farming?" I asked.

"Yes, it's been a long time dream of mine." Wut nodded.

"You're resigning?"

"Yes sir. I was going to tell you after dinner."

"Damn, Wut." Nat dropped his cutleries..

"I'm sorry, Sir. It's still months away, so there is enough time to find someone capable to replace me."