Chapter Six

LITTLE SECRETS

LITTLE SECRETS

"Are you crazy! Money? You won't come and visit but you want money?"

"Po!" I wriggled on the floor, stomping my feet like a troublesome child who wasn't getting their way. "Do you want me to live on the streets? Huh! Won't you be embarrassed!"

"No, why would I be? Will I be the one living on the streets?"

"Po!"

"Oyi! Stop disturbing me, eh Kit! Shut it down, find another job or come home and help your mother and me run this restaurant. We are opening a third one," he stated. Even without seeing his face, I knew he was smiling.

I rolled over and laid on my stomach, swinging my legs in the air as I played with an ant crawling in front of me.

"I don't want to," I replied.

"How is that my problem! Eh? Don't call me again!"

"Po!"

"What!"

"Congratulations on the new restaurant. I'll call Mae too."

"Thank you. Make sure to come home soon. I want to see you."

"Ok."

"Have you eaten?"

"Yes."

"Ok, bye." He hung up and I giggled.

It was good to hear his voice. I had not spoken to either him or Mae in a while on purpose. When I started the company, they weren't the most supportive. It took me a while to get them on my side and it was beginning to feel like they were right. I put my phone down, looking at the screen, waiting for a credit alert to come. I knew Po all too well, he always said no first before saying yes.

"Arghh!" Nat screamed as he stepped into the house. "So hot! So hot!" he complained, putting down the groceries and rushing to turn on the air conditioner. "No power?" he screamed in frustration. "I'm going to have a heat stroke! I walked for hours at the market! Damn this country!"

"Stop whining, come here." I gestured him over, turning on the rechargeable fan sitting beside me on the floor, and he rushed to it, raising his shirt over the fan with a sigh of relief.

"My back hurts, Kit." He pointed to his shoulder. Pouting, he begged for a massage.

Nat could be such a baby sometimes, but I was the only one he let see him that way, pouty and whiny. I crawled over and began massaging his shoulder.

"To the left... ah there there there... then to the right... more to the right." He moaned with relief as I massaged him. "Kit harder! Put your back into it!" he urged on. I pressed harder. "Ah yes! Harder! There! Go lower!"

"Oyi!" I smacked his back. "Do it yourself!" I crawled back to my corner on the floor, sitting with my back to the wall and picked up my phone.

"You should be thanking me! It was your turn to go grocery shopping! Do you know how hot it is outside? How long I walked? Carrying all the bags!" He hissed. "So ungrateful!"