Chapter Nine

A PROPOSAL

A PROPOSAL

"My first five years as a wife were some of my best years," the chairwoman said, her face beaming as she arrived. "All we did was run around and cause a fuss." She laughed. "Also..." She gestured us closer, and we lowered ourselves to her height. "Lots of sex," she whispered.

"Khun Mae!" Jaran and I yelled.

"Oyi! What is this? That's how it should be! Don't be shy. I know all these things. Unless...." Her eyes widened. "Both of you aren't having any—"

"Sawatdee Krap, Khun," Khun Foei Charoensuk, one of the contestants interrupted, greeting with a wai.

"Foei, looking good."

"Thank you, Khun." He smiled.

"Who is this lovely young lady?" the chairwoman asked.

"This is my wife, Phi Mook."

"Foei! She is gorgeous! Why didn't you introduce us earlier?" she hounded him, pulling his wife closer.

Jaran, Nat and I watched patiently as an unending number of pleasantries transpired between the couple and Khun Sampatistri. I slouched, stifling a hiss. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Jaran squeezing his face. Khun Foei was that type of coworker that got on everyone's nerves with his constant need to prove he was the best.

"I adore seeing families come together like this," Khun Sampatistri expressed.

"Of course, Khun. That's why we are all planning to meet tomorrow over barbecue," Khun Foei replied.

"We are?" Jaran, Nat and I asked in unison, heads tilted.

"We were just about to inform you all. I only just found out you two are a couple. It's just for couples, a quick get together," Khun Mook politely explained.

"Actually, when I heard about your engagement, Khun Kittisat, I was very surprised. These things tend to reach my ears rather quickly. When did you get enga—"

"Well... I'm sure you all will have a good time," Khun Sampatistri cut in. "I will go evaluate those mock designs now." She continued her walk past us and we bowed.

"So, tomorrow 7pm?" Khun Mook asked.

"Sure," Jaran replied.

***

Nat and I stepped out of the building and Nat flagged down a taxi. I held the door open for him.

"You go ahead, I have an errand to run," I announced. 

"What errand?" Nat asked.

"Just... personal errands."

"I know all your personal errands. What's this one?"