Chapter Twenty

THE THINGS I DO NOT KNOW

The helicopter touched down on the helipad of one of Khun Sampastisiri's skyscraper buildings. With the help of attendants, we alighted. The impeccable skyline of Bangkok captivated me. I had never seen the city from that angle before, it was phenomenal and breathtaking. Ja walked up and stood beside me. We admired it in silence.

"A beauty, isn't it?" Khun Sampastisiri said, arriving between us. I nodded, throwing my gaze from her to Ja, feeling slightly uncomfortable to be standing between them. "When I decided to build this building, there was no other building tall enough to give me this view. Now, it's not even among the top ten tallest buildings in the country." She chuckled. "That is why I built that one." She pointed over at a building considered to be one of the tallest in all of South-east Asia.

"Incredible," I muttered.

"Goals are fleeting, Nong. We convince ourselves we need to achieve something to feel a certain type of fulfillment, seeking material validation. Sadly, it always withers away. There will always be another height to achieve, and soon, you'll find that your happiness is intertwined with something that really doesn't matter. Do you know what truly matters?" She turned to me and I shook my head. "The people that love you." She smiled broadly.

I smiled back and she ran a kind hand across my back, patting gently. We stood a few more minutes staring at the view before turning to the elevator and descending.

"You both get home safe. Looking forward to your phase two in the competition," Khun Sampastisiri expressed while the driver opened the door for her. She stepped in. We bowed as she drove away.

One of her cars pulled up in front of us and Ja held the door open for me.

"Not coming?" I asked.

"I have something to do downtown. I'll be home late."

I nodded. "Will you make it home for dinner?"

"Probably not."

"Ok, I'll tell Phi Janya to keep your dinner in the fridge."

"Thanks." Ja smiled and I got in and gently closed the door.

I turned around to watch him as the car drove off. It felt weird sitting in the car alone after spending two days attached to him. I had gotten used to his scent in such a short span of time and the car smelt of air freshener. It felt synthetic, unnatural.

***

"I'm back!" I announced stepping into the house.

Varawut and Pure were seated on the long sofa in the living room as Varawut painted Pure's toenails while they chatted.

"Sawatdee Krap, Khun." Varawut smiled at me as I approached.

"How did it go?"

"Eventful to say the least." I put my bag down.

"How is Mae and Po?" Nat walked in the sitting room with a white goo looking liquid on his face, a shower cap on his head, wearing a bathrobe.

"What is that on your face?" I crinkled my forehead.

Pure lifted a bottle of face mask to me. "The best face glow mask in the market if I do say so myself." I collected it from her to study the bottle.

"It stings," Nat complained.

"What's on your head?" I asked.

"Leave-in conditioner," Nat replied.

"And why have we turned our sitting room into a spa?"