Chapter Thirty-seven

WHAT HAPPENS AT PRIDE

Brunch at Play's restaurant

8am to 11am.

Pride Games at Pure's church

11am to 2pm.

Pride rally at Siam

3pm to 6pm.

Pride after party at Rauch

7pm till 12am.

Our pride schedule was filled with events and I wouldn't have had it any other way. A busy schedule meant there'd be other things going on to help distract me from thinking about the nearing end to Ja and I's fling. I was making peace with too many things at once and felt overwhelmed. Pride was the perfect distraction.

I left the apartment before anyone else and arrived at Play's restaurant by 7am. The pride flags already stood tall, balloons in the air, tables covered in white cloth with different baked items being arranged on them. I joined Play in the kitchen and helped out where I could. It wasn't long before kids and their parents began to arrive. Soon after, the air was filled with bubbles from kids playing with water guns and bubble makers. The older kids sat with me to make crayon and watercolor signs for the rally.

I was helping the cutest little girl make hand paintings for her sign when Ja, Wut and Pure arrived. I smiled, pleased at the sight of Ja in his competition uniform. During training, he wore mostly oversized shirts and trousers with his hair in a bun. I liked that too, but there was something super special about seeing Ja in high shorts, exposing his whole thigh and a tight shirt that allowed him flaunt his striking biceps. His hair was permed backwards. It had been a while since I had seen his hair so finely done, we were home most of the time. I admired him without caution, and when he turned in my direction, my little heart fluttered.

Sarawat crashed into our moment with his arrival and I returned my attention to the little girl.

Brunch was easier than I thought it'd be so I believed the rest of the day would be the same. Once Ja finished sharing pleasantries with as many people as he could, he joined me on the grass with the children, making hand and face paintings. He was better at it than me, making silly jokes that rocked the children with laughter. He tickled and chased and danced with the kids, spreading so much joy that drove me to shed a tear I quickly wiped off.

Now that I look back at that wonderful hour, I think that was the moment I knew I wanted to be a father. And I wanted to be a father with that version of him.

***

The pastor said a short prayer and the Pride games began.

Pure's church had a different approach to things than Wut's church. With a younger demographic and way more exciting approach to style, it was not difficult to blend in. There were multiple queer individuals and families in attendance which came as a surprise to me. I found a small circle of substitute players like myself, players that were only there if the teams needed someone else to jump in and we kicked off a deep conversation about sports. They were a cheerful, encouraging bunch and we still keep in touch after all these years. Nat arrived and stole me away from them.

We watched the games from the sidelines, cheering each team and chanting alongside the cheerleaders when they had their performance. We were in great spirits... till Mongkut arrived with his 'friend', introducing him to us as Malee. It was not nearly as awkward as I thought it'd be. Nat was gracious and so was Malee. They shared several short conversations and cheered during the games together.