Chapter Fifteen

I SEE YOU

"So we are looking at hydro energy, solar energy. By 2035, we want seventy percent of all low-income South-Asian homes to be entirely powered by renewable energy, containing only recyclable materials. In two years, we must have figured out the network. Once we dominate Thailand and the Philippines, we can expand into Bangladesh, India, which probably be our biggest market. The trash economy is ever growing..." Rama continued to explain as we strolled through what was set to become an energy farm of some sort.

For the most part, I listened. The rest of the time, my mind wandered to how captivating his lips moved, how spotless his skin was, the beauty of his mind. Rama's vision was all about the big stuff. The kind of stuff less than one percent of the world's population could never dream of aspiring to do. Just walking next to him made me feel like I could reach for anything, be anything, the way he spoke, like anything was possible—he was a dream.

It was during his tour I came to learn Jaran was the sole architect of the village but requested to have his name taken off the records. I was both impressed and intimidated by that information, but was too in awe of Rama to slow down, take it all in and ask the questions. 

We toured several parts of the building, and I was allowed to take pictures to help with my project. It was such an exclusive insight. The village had not yet been open to the public and would not be for another two years. Only employees were allowed in. 

In the beginning Rama and I walked side by side as we shared conversation, Jaran followed closely behind, not contributing anything. But when I began taking pictures, Rama gave me some space, joining Jaran in conversation. 

I focused on documenting what I needed, taking a break to ask questions when necessary. Soon, it grew uncomfortable to ask. Rama and Jaran were always engaged in what seemed to be very private, deep conversations. It felt like I was invading their privacy each time I asked.

Rama was an openly gay man. Every now and then in the tabloids, speculations ran free of who he was dating. He was always laced with fashion models of every fashion week, but never officially announced a partner. So, my assumptions ran free. I had never known Jaran to date. Through university and into adulthood, he'd never once flaunted or talked about a partner of any sort. To see both of them share delicate laughter while holding hands was intriguing and somewhat dissatisfying. Whenever we were around each other, Jaran's attention was always with me. 

"Nong Kit!" Rama called. I had moved quite a distance away from them. "Would you like to see the residential area? There is a cave with a river and the water glows."

"Exciting!" I jogged back to them.

With Jaran's arms around his shoulder, Rama led us to a red cable car on the other side of the building. Rama was also experimenting with underground housing, part of his plan to help curb global warming and the electric cable car was the only ride used by employees to travel in and out of the little town. 

The underground town was lit up with dazzling golden lamps that looked like they were stolen off the set of a Harry Potter movie. There, dome-like small homes for employees with greenery and holographic billboards were stationed. A huge bulk of it was still being built, but I could already see its beauty. 

We passed through it before arriving at an astonishing underground waterfall, in a massive cave the size of a three storey building, surrounded by greenery and flowers. Once the humming sound of the cable car died down, the chirping of crickets and frogs filled the cave. 

"I can't believe you finished it!" Jaran yelled as we alighted, subtle laughter in his throat.

"I told you I would," Rama replied.