Chapter Thirty-one

BIRTHDAY GIFT

I jogged down the stairs in haste. It took over an hour to make sure Ja was not in the hallways or kitchen. I was craving a light snack and needed to be in and out of the kitchen before he arrived to make his afternoon juice shake.

It had been a week since I revealed to Ja I wanted to do more than just masturbate to his underwear. It took me a split second to comprehend the words that rolled off my lips and another split second to turn and sprint to my room in utter embarrassment. I had made a promise to myself that making Ja the center of my fetish would never lead to any event that would make him feel used or objectified and saying those words made me feel as though I completely failed that promise. When I confessed, he stared back at me with disbelief and I could've sworn I saw a glint of disappointment.

I was not ready to face him and apologize. So, I avoided him. In every way possible.

Avoiding him was no easy feat the first few days. I had to observe and study his daily routine: By 6am he'd be out of his room, then head straight to the gym where he'd workout with Zumba dances and some yoga. It was entertaining to watch. The way he swayed his hips and pumped his chest. He looked ridiculous, but in a funny way.

It took him approximately forty-five minutes to shower and get ready for the day before heading to the kitchen and making his morning tea. Whistling, he'd head to the office and begin sketching. He'd leave the office every now and then to take a walk round the apartment. I already knew that from having to share an office with him for months. In the afternoons, he made his juice an hour or two before his lunch, which he always had late. When work hours were over, he'd hang out with Wut for a bit then go for another walk outside the building before retiring to his room.

I knew just when to leave my room to go get food, drop the laundry or do anything else I wanted without bumping into him. But there were still moments that resulted in me hiding behind doors, under the stairs and even behind the couch. It hurt my back to work from my bed and I was beginning to contemplate returning to the office with Wut and Nat instead of working from home.

I entered the kitchen and found Pure whipping some stuff up that afternoon. The whole kitchen smelt like vanilla and banana. There were multiple cupcakes in different shapes already laid out on the island.

"Smells like heaven in here." I smiled, walking over to the counter.

"Thank you."

"Been a while since you've been in the kitchen, missed your cooking."

"Music to my ears! Have a muffin." Pure reached over and handed me one. "Have two." She handed me another and I laughed softly.

"I take it you and Wut have worked through the issue?" I bit into the muffin.

"We don't have the answers yet, but we are getting there."

I nodded, glancing over all the baked food. "What's all this for? Seems like you've been here for hours."

"For Nong Praew's birthday of course."

"What?"

"It's in three days and I want it all set early because I won't have time tomorrow or next. I'm giving a lecture at the university and I have so much to do before I can squeeze in my day off."

"You don't have to do any of these, Nong Play already got someone."

"And I told him to dump them. No one bakes better than me, Kit. Besides this is going to be such a good way to make the right impression on Nong Praew, hopefully she loves the cake and the baker."