Chapter Eleven

ESCAPE THE ALLY

ESCAPE THE ALLY

We arrived at Wut's church by 10am that Saturday. It was a late brunch event held at the cathedral's garden. It felt as if I stepped into an alternate universe where people cloned themselves. Everyone's outfit was so similar. From their hairstyles to the shoes they wore. All long sleeves, below the knee gowns and skirts. I barely took notice of the men; they were that forgettable. We all stood in silence, watching the bland view.

"It looks like an award show for the worst dressed people," Nat pointed out.

"Are they trying not to stand out on purpose?" I questioned.

"Seems like you'll fit right in, Kit. You sure know how to dress to unimpress," Jaran mocked.

Ignoring him, I shook my head.

"Remember how we agreed on not judging?" Pure reminded.

"Yup," Nat and I said in unison.

"Let's stick to that."

"Wut!" Mongkut appeared, approaching with open arms.

They exchanged hugs and continued with pleasantries, Jaran joined them in a brief chat.

"You brought the minions along." Mongkut turned to Nat and I.

"You look like someone shoved a stick up your ass in that shirt," Nat snapped back.

"We are in the house of the lord, have some respect."

"Technically, we are in the garden of the lord."

"Both of you quit it. I need everyone to be on their best behavior today," Pure cautioned.

"How long do we need to be here again?" I asked, reaching for the freshly baked cupcakes Pure brought along. She smacked my hand away.

"As long as it takes." Pure eyed me.

"Nong Pure! Nong Wut!" a round, chubby lady hailed from a distance, waving at us. She began to approach with a group of friends.

"Who?" I leaned into Pure.

"I'm out." Mongkut turned away, a chuckle in his throat.

Wut moved to join and Pure glared at him, keeping the big smile on her face. I turned to where Nat stood beside me and Poof! He was gone.

The women arrived rather cheerful and exchanged bows.

"I'm very glad you decided to join us, we were starting to worry for you," the round lady expressed.

"Of course, Phi Kanda. I wouldn't miss such a dear moment."

"How are the wedding preparations coming along, it's just a few months away now."

"Coming along very well, Phi."

"Have you picked your bridesmaids yet?" the second woman inquired. "We know you love to work. I sometimes wonder how you will ever have time to manage a home and raise a family. It's time consuming and—"