Chapter Three

THE LONG NIGHT

THE LONG NIGHT

I groaned, holding my head as I recovered from both being beat up by men three times my size, thrown out by the security guards and a horrible hangover.

"Here you go." Nat handed me a bottle of water as he returned from buying some.

We had found a broken bench down the street from the club, and that was a good enough place to take a breather.

"Thanks." I placed it on my pounding forehead.

"You were great out there buddy, I was starting to think old age has made you soft."

"Bro what?" I raised my gaze to Nat.

He snorted a laugh, and I joined him in what turned into an intense minute of loud stupid laughter, falling into each other. Sud grumbled and our laughter die down as Nat hissed. We had abandoned him on the other end of the bench.

"What are we doing with the idiot?" Nat asked.

I sighed. "Nat... we have to take him home with us."

"Nope." Nat backed away, shaking his head. "We'll find a motel, dump him in it and leave."

"He is practically unconscious."

"And whose fault is that?"

I looked at the bottle in my hand. We remained silent for a few more minutes.

"I can't leave him here. I'm sorry, Nat. I know it's pathetic."

"You're not pathetic, Kit. The only thing that's pathetic here is the idiot. He doesn't deserve to have ever discovered your existence." Nat hissed, kicking a little stone by his foot and we watched it roll away. "I'll go find us a ride." He turned away, walking down the street.

It only took Nat a few minutes to return with a tuk-tuk and we hopped in, carrying Sud along. We stuffed him in between us to prevent him from falling off the ride.

The city never slept, even by 3am, riding through the city was visually pleasing. The street food vendors were still out here and there, the bars and clubs still going at it. I had forgotten what it felt like to ride through the city at night, a result of me cutting off my night life. With my head resting against the body of the tuk-tuk, the warm breeze was free to rustle my hair and shirt as the street lights and neon signs poured against my skin.

***

My brain was still recovering from the alcohol fog when we arrived back home. Nat helped me dump Sud in my bed and quickly returned to his room to take a nap. We only had seven hours until the eco pitch and still needed to do some finishing to our presentation. Just as I had done ten thousand times before, I got a towel and bucket and began wiping Sud clean.

I knelt beside the bed after I was done, just watching him. He still looked very much like the man I had fallen in love with. Like the man who showed up to my office every afternoon with lunch and my favorite drink until I agreed to be his boyfriend.