Chapter Ten

OFFICE INVASION

OFFICE INVASION

"Arghh!" I let out a muffled scream into my pillow, shaking rigorously.

The morning brought with it a daunting realization of all that happened the previous night. How I sheepishly behaved in the presence of Jaran, throwing myself at him. I couldn't stand myself. I cringed at every piece of memory as they flashed through my mind.

LAST NIGHT

"That was a fast yes, I meant—"

"I want to marry you, Jaran!" My eyes welled up with tears, I began to sob.

"Uhh..." Jaran squinted at me, confused.

I threw my hands around his neck, squeezing tight, as if in a blink he'd disappear.

"You said I'm pretty! I'll marry you because you said I'm pretty! I'll make a great husband!" I wailed.

Struggling to breathe, he began pulling me away from his neck, but I held on tighter. The more he tried to get me off him, the harder I squeezed, crying my eyes out.

"Kit! get off me!"

"Don't you want to marry me anymore? Please don't leave me!"

"I'm not leaving you! I'm dying!" He choked. "Kit!" But I refused to let go.

PRESENT DAY

"Arghh!" I screamed again into my pillow, shaking my legs.

I hurled myself out of bed, grabbed my pillow and began flogging the mattress with it. Over and over and over again, then I took a short break to pull my hair and stomp my feet before continuing to punish the bed for my crimes.

I hurried to the door after I wore myself out. I needed to tell Nat everything. Share the cringe with him. I pulled the door open, immediately slamming it shut at the sight of Jaran standing in front of it. Stifling a groan, I spun in annoyance, fisting my palms. I was nowhere near prepared to face him. The things I said to Jaran; of all people! His ego must be over the moon I believed. I took a deep breath and pulled the door open again.

"No," I said, pushing past him and walking speedily down the hallway.

"Kit—"

"The answer is no!" I turned into the staircase.

"I haven't even said anything."

"I know what you're going to say! No!"

"You already said yes! You can't take it back!"

"Pfft! I can do whatever I want!"

"You were begging me last night! Begging me!"

I turned into the kitchen. "I'd rather peel my skin off than continue to pretend we are married." I hurried to the fridge for some water.