Chapter twenty-two

BANGKOK NIGHT LIGHTS

The night market was only a few minutes away, so we decided on a stroll while sharing ideas we wanted to explore in our designs. Once we arrived, Ja led me to one of the roadside temples. We bought some incense and flowers before moving into the temple and kneeling for a short prayer.

We continued our stroll in search of fried pork and then searched for some roadside pizza. As we ate, we shopped for antique jewelry. I came to learn about Ja's love for collecting antique Jewelry, especially bracelets. We moved from shop to shop, browsing and trying some on. It didn't take long for us to discover our extremely different taste in jewelry.

I never knew I held any sort of admiration for jewelry. He insisted I try out one and the next minute I was everywhere, trying out different antiqued necklaces.

Ja put on a show for me on the sidewalk, dragging the attention of passersby and street vendors alike. I laughed my heart out. It was careless fun and I was having a good time to say the least. That was until he twirled and my gaze fell to the waistband of his underwear, sticking out from under his pants and stayed there. I flushed.

"Where to now?" I asked as we strolled out of the market.

"Chinatown, a friend has a show tonight."

"Yay."

We walked down only a few blocks before finding an automated bicycle rental station. I hadn't ridden one in so long; I ended up falling on the first try. Ja laughed graciously, helping me back up and we tried again.

We rode off, but it was a shaky ride for me. I kept slipping so we stopped in the middle of a less busy street and began riding in a circle while he guided me, holding onto the handle of my bicycle with his left hand as his right hand rested on my lower back. The bicycle screeched and came to a halt when I pressed down the brake too soon and he snorted a laugh.

"It's no different than a scooter, Grinchy," he said softly.

"I can just ride with you."

"We have to return the bicycles at the nearest rental station, Grinchy."

I drew a sharp breath, dropping my shoulders. He lowered his head to get a better view of my face, attempting to make sure I could see his reassuring gaze. I raised a finger to his eyebrows and ran my finger through it.

"Do you know how thick your eyebrows are?"

"Yes. Do you like it?"

"Yes."

"Good. Go again?"

I nodded and we gave it another go, driving round and round until I found my balance, then we were back on our way.

He was careful with me, constantly checking in to make sure I didn't slip again. Each time he rode in front of me, his waist and little shorts were on display for me. At first, I didn't try not to stare, but then I began to feel like a creep and resorted to stealing glances whenever I could. I faked a laugh each time he said something funny. I wasn't paying enough attention to understand what the joke was. We found the nearest rental station to Chinatown and returned the bicycles, continuing our journey on foot.

He took me to an old theater, and it came as no surprise that the door man knew him; everyone knew him.

He walked backstage and the crew members welcomed him with big smiles and open arms. The show had already begun, already halfway through, so they found a seat for us to watch from backstage.

It was an exquisite cabaret show. I was completely taken by every movement, all the glitz and glamor. It was beautifully choreographed and the lead dancer was nothing short of amazing. Every step, every twist and turn was alluring. The rest of the dancers ran off stage and the lead dancer continued with a solo traditional dance.