Chapter Thirteen

OLD WOUNDS

OLD WOUNDS

Nong Praew sprung up from her seat at the sight of me. She ran and threw her arms around me, picked me up from the ground and spun me around. Praew easily towered over me, like the six-foot giant softie that she was.

"Why are you in Bangkok?"

"What happened to 'hello'? What happened to 'how are you'?" There was laughter in her voice.

I pulled her head under my armpit, ruffling her short straight hair as she protested. We took our seats after a few minutes of playful tussle. She had already begun grilling the meat so I took over.

"The office sent me here to resolve an issue."

"Whoa! They are now sending you on out-of-state business meetings? My little, Praew.'' I pulled her puffy cheeks and she wiggled in excitement. "Is this all you want to eat? I'll buy more."

"Didn't you say you were broke?"

"Never too broke for you na krap."

"Mehh." We both cringed at the cuteness.

"Phi, when are you coming home? Are you running away? Is it because of the money problem? No one expects you to bring anything."

"I know."

"So?"

"When are you moving out? You always talked about leaving, what happened?"

Nong Praew shrugged. "I like it there. I like helping out with the restaurant when I can and meeting the same people. Bangkok is too much for me. I still have all the time in the world, right? You always call me a fetus." She laughed. "But you should come home for a bit."

"It seems I will soon. They announced Chiang Mai is where the land for the eco village will be."

"Eco village?"

"Remember the competition I told you I'm participating in?"

"Ah yes. Awesome. It's about time, I'm sick of our parents, maybe you can talk some sense into them."

"Am I missing out on anything?"

She exhaled. "Don't tell Po I told you but, Mae moved out two months ago."

"What?" My eyes widened.

"She just moved back in, but they still aren't talking to each other yet. Phi, I think they might get a divorce."

"Why didn't you tell me? Does Phi Hannah know?"

"They don't want anyone to know. Especially Phi, you know she'll come home and never leave."

I frowned. Mae and Po had just celebrated being together for thirty-seven years the previous year. They were teenage sweethearts turned life partners. All those years, suddenly a divorce? I took a moment to take it in and went back to grilling.