34 ... vulnerable

friday
knights
34

THE ONLY THOUGHT ON Amira's mind; have a good time tonight. Lydia and Yasmin suggested a night out to a club, the first club Lydia took her to as a bonded friendship thing. At first, she didn't think she'd be up for it, but, her head was a mess and she wanted—needed, to blur it out just for one night. Her friends alongside her brother were going so she figured it would be fun.

She stood in front of her phone which was leaning against her hand-painted pen and pencil jar, the camera facing front as she inspected the dress she would be wearing tonight. Turning sideways, she made sure the fabric lines were set in the right places and not crooked. At the same time, the door opened and closed behind her. "I'll be right out C, I—" She turned around, thinking it was CJ. Her heart stopped and exploded.

Taking a safe step back, her eyes bulged at the sight of a drunk Kaz stumbling to stand in the middle of the room. She went speechless though her brain screamed for her to call for help. He grimaced, self-loathing and greed crossing his eyes. Amira felt a pit in her stomach. It wasn't a chasm filled with good intent and it wasn't a good feeling. Not like the one Carter gave her.

With her heart drumming in her ears, a question crossed her mind. How'd he get past anyone? During this time, security would be on duty because no one was allowed at each other's dorm hall late at night unless they were a visitor, not that the rule mattered to Carter or Cato.

Her fight or flight kicked in and at the moment, she was feeling both as Kaz stumbled toward her. Sliding her hand behind her back, she prayed her finger tapped the record button before she leaned off of the desk to run.

She dodged him but before she could reach the door, he growled, "Don't even think about it," Then, her heart dropped further at the sound of a gun clicking as it pressed against the back of her head. Fear etched in her veins and she slowly turned around.

Kaz pressed it against the side of her skull.

"You're not a murderer," She tried sounding confident but her voice trembled. "It's too late," He gritted and frowned, grasping the weapon tighter. "For me."

Taking a deep breath, she asked. "You killed someone before?" A memory flashed through his eyes, sending a chill down her spine. "My...my um, my dad. I-I killed...it was self-defense," Good God I slept with a murderer, she screamed internally, alarms going off in her head to either risk it and run or talk herself out of possibly getting shot like an negotiator.

"Okay, then why don't we just talk?"

"I texted you," He sniffled air, ignoring the subject.

Amira glared, "That's it? That's what this is about? That's all you had to say?! With a fucking gun?!" She shoved him back and he grunted, pressing the gun harder and grabbing her by the throat, his palm in placed where he relentlessly choked her.

"Perfect fit," He whispered to himself, glancing down at his hand placement. His hazy dark eyes darted back to hers that was full of hatred, confidence and fear.

"I apologized...many, many times. It-It felt like you were being..." She watched him pause and take a breath that reeked of beer. He contemplated in his thoughts before he shook his head. "I-I'm sorry," She stared into his teary eyes. "O-Okay, just put down the gun," She slowly reached for it but he pressed her back against the door. "I never meant to hurt you, Amira. Y-You gotta believe me. I'm a good guy—my-my life...my life just wasn't right growing up. My-My dad used to beat my mom in front of us, he told us after every beaten that we were destined to end up like him. That it was all h-her fault she decided to have us with him..."