23 ... cato's secret

friday
knights
23

☊ | track nineteen—secrets

"WHY ARE YOU STILL PLANNING THIS SHIT LIKE A LITTLE BITCH?" Amira said to her brother over the phone as she walked out of her class—dusting access hair off of her jeans. She stuffed her phone in the pocket of her zip-up hoodie and put the other bud of her wire headphones in her ear. "Why you in my black man business?" He responded, shuffling around.

Amira rolled her eyes as she leisurely walked down the hall of her campus. "Your black man business is one some white person shit right now. You're about to watch your best friend since we were kids, marry your ex—the ex you said you still want by the damn way."

He paused giving her another reason why her point stood dead on. Amira grew up with a tough yet sensitive brother. He gave his personality a hard exterior, hiding away the softness. Growing up, she witnessed him get bullied, and that changed him. He toughened up his attitude, his mind, and his body. In no time, people treated him like a regular person—since he wasn't a pushover anymore. He was smart, sweet, snarky, and held his ground. Just like Amira.

"Y'all keep bringing it up like imma change my mind. I'm not telling them," He said and Amira shrugged.

"You're right, C. I can't change your mind but at least take a break from them. Go visit Mom and Dad, or better yet, your loving always right little sister."

"I rather suffer."

She snorted, using her hand to cover it as she passed by some students. Laugher on the other line followed.

"Fuck you—" She playfully scolded, turning a corner.

"And are you texting while talking to me?" Her eyes landed on a familiar body and paused in steps. Cato sat on the floor against a wall with his guitar and pages of paper surrounding him. He was busy typing to notice her. Down the same hall, Tyler was walking and he paused when he saw her. "Shit," She whispered as he slightly waved and headed her way. "Uh," She looked around for a way to escape. "Hey!" She stopped in front of Cato. Turning his phone off, he looked up.

"Maybe, you on drugs?" Her brother responded. Taking one earphone out, she smiled forcefully and avoided Tyler as he passed her by. "Yeah, percs. Imma go, just got out of class," Cato furrowed his face in confusion. "Whatever weirdo."

As the phone hung up, Amira took her earphones out and tucked them away in her pocket with her phone. Cato sent a quick text as she sat beside him against the wall. "Sorry, I was on the phone. And not that it's my business, but whoever got you red like this must have mad control over you. In a good way though," She grabbed his cheeks and squeezed them playfully.

Cato looked at her even more confused and shook his head. "What?" He chuckled nervously, his face reddening. Amira rolled her eyes playfully and shook her head. "Nothing." Cato glanced at his phone. "Oh."

"I was texting a friend I met through Instagram," He waved it off, playing with his phone in his hands.

"Mmk, but be careful."

"Why?" He frowned.

"Cause there are crazy people out there, duh."