11 ... sw!m

friday
knights
11

☊ | track eight—the ways

CATO WATCHED HIS TWIN pacing the kitchen back and forth whilst stuffing a large hoagie in his mouth. He didn't know what was going on. He'd been home all day eating and practicing on his guitar in peace until everyone came through the door making the house not so quiet anymore. The kids went straight to the kitchen for a snack while he was in the middle of making his sandwich and had to fight off Theo for the last bit of lunchmeat left in the fridge. After everyone calmed down and went to bother Amira in the room where she slept, Carter had a chance to tell him what happened.

Now, he'd been pacing for ten minutes without saying a word. He couldn't get Kaz and Amira's interaction out of his head. It made him so mad that if he talked while thinking about it, he might've ended up exploding which is why he said nothing to Amira the whole car ride, not wanting to yell at her for no reason. She found it weird but thought it stupidly had something to do with her talking to Kaz against his wishes.

The feud between the two was bigger than she knew.

"Are you going to talk now?" Cato said with a mouth full, leaning his elbows against the counter. He had mayo and mustard—two condiments he faithfully joined together on his sandwich, on the corners of his mouth but didn't care, the food too good to waste time.

"He's after her," Carter blurted confusing Cato.

"Who's after who?" He licked his fingers.

"Parker..." He clenched the corners of the counter.

"He's after Amira and she's possibly after him too but not in the way we want and she won't fucking listen to me," He tapped his foot, trying to remain calm.

Cato paused mid-chewing. "No."

"Yes. He dropped his brother off at Diane's studio and saw us on the sidelines. He didn't hold back like he knew I wouldn't set myself off in front of her so he pushed my buttons right then and there." Cato chewed slowly, his eyes roaming the ingredients on the counter.

"Then what do we do? Tell her we love her?"

"No, that'll just scare her away and—" He paused mid-sentence and raised an eyebrow. "When did this become a we thing? You know how much I want her."

Cato leaned from the counter.

"So do I. You know this."

"Cato you know how I felt about her since the first day she got here. I had to talk myself into not joining her business class just to be with her," Cato rolled his eyes and finally used a napkin to wipe his mouth.

"Whatever because it's always about your feelings..."

Carter scoffed, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's always about your feelings for Amira and never mine. I like her just as much as you. What's different?"

"That's the thing, Cato. I just don't like her like some silly high school crush," He rounded the table to stand in front of his brother. "I want her. To be mine. Tutto mio, do you understand that? I spend my game nights making sure she's in those stands so I can win it—not just for our family anymore, but for her. I do every stupid thing in her—shit, even my life, for her."