57 ... date kn!ght

fr!day
kn!ghts
57

☊ | track forty-four—nights like this

december 1st

"ARE WE GONNA BE SISTERS ONE DAY?" Diane wondered with a head tilt while she mindlessly played with Amira's braids, running her fingers through them. Amira smiled at her from the mirror as she tightened a glimmering diamond earring in her left ear lobe. "That can happen?" Lola asked beside her sister adding on accessories. Diane gave her some tips on how to style without overdoing it like she usually does and so far, Lola was doing a pretty decent job. "Mhm, if Carter and Mira get married, she would be our big sister-in-law," Diane explained. "What's that?"

"Someone who is our sister but isn't."

That ran an error in Lola's brain.

"You'll understand when you're my age."

"Okay!" She shrugged it off and went back to her own world.

"So will you?" Diane pressed and Amira nodded.

"One day for sure, I hope."

Lola and Diane smiled at each other.

"I hope so too. You already feel like a sister more than a nanny anyway. I also hope Carter isn't stupid enough to lose you because you're the best and he's...him," Amira laughed and smiled. "Thank you, I feel the same way about both of you girls," She looked over at Lola so she wouldn't feel left out. "Your brother is very stupid but I usually fall for stupid so he's right up my alley, unfortunately," The girls giggled.

"Can you guys not decide to get married while I'm gone? I want to be your main bridesmaid," Amira chuckled as she snapped in her other earring. "I wanna be the flower girl!" Lola exclaimed. "D, your brother and I have some ways to go before we get married. We have time."

"I know. Just don't end up like dad and..." She glanced at Lola and then Amira who shook her head not to finish that sentence. "I get what you mean and we love each other too much to let that happen. But you know, some things don't last forever. It's not like they didn't or don't love each other because they do."

"Love is...a weird thing, it's complicated, it can be beautiful and make you feel like you're on top of the world but it can also be a horrible feeling and that's the truth. I wouldn't sugarcoat it for you girls because you'll grow up and one day fall in love too. It's human nature," She sat the palette of makeup and brush down to turn in her chair.

"So I'm going to tell you this now, it's not easy and it never will be. You're going to gain your first crush or first boyfriend and feel as if the two of you are in love and are going to get married and live happily ever after, and though that may be true for some people. They go off and marry their childhood sweethearts, but most people aren't so lucky to have that. So what I want you girls to know, is don't grow up so fast. Don't rush it, okay?" Both girls silently nodded.

"I myself rushed it at a young age and I was hurt really bad for it because I didn't take the time to learn and grow and just be a kid. I thought that I knew what love was but I wasn't prepared for it at all. And you know what? I'm still not."

"You're not sure with Carter anymore?" Diane asked and Amira shook her head. "Oh, no I'm as sure as the sea about your brother don't worry. I love him so, so much and he knows it. But that doesn't mean I'm still not prepared. Truth is, no one really is. So I need you guys to listen to what I'm about to tell you and I want you to remember it like the lyrics to your favorite song, okay?" She grabbed their hands.