24 ... deal breaker

friday
knights
24

☊ | track twenty—trying

"TODAY IS THE DAY PEOPLE CHOP CHOP!" Alexi could be heard in the house faintly. Diane looked over her father's shoulder as people rushed in and out of the house to place Lola's costumes and other equipment in the trunk of multiple SUV's parked on the right side of the pathway. Warren looked over as well, shaking his head with a smile. "It's that time again," Diane looked away from Lola at the foot of the door and mumbled, "Yeah," She shrugged and Warren rubbed her side. "You sure you don't want to come?"

"I'm sure. Lola doesn't want me there anymore," She shrugged and Warren sighed, looking between his two girls. "You're my girls. I don't like when you fight."

"We always fight, daddy. You're just never there to see," He stared at her for a moment and she realized her mistake, sitting her small hands on his face, on his graying beard. "Daddy I'm sorry, I didn't mean—"

"Nope," He shook his head, owning up to her words. "You are absolutely right and I'm trying so hard to work on that. I want to be here for you girls—for all of you," Diane nodded as he kissed her cheek.

"I know daddy. I gotta go," She beckoned behind at her moms car, Tasha leaning against the headlights, watching Alexi's assistants and crew work.

Warren glanced over at Tasha then back at Diane.

"One last time to rethink your decision."

"I'm not going, Daddy. That's final from me."

Whenever pageant day came for Lola, Diane would spend that time at home with her mom cooking and baking. She remembered how Lola screamed in her face that she never wanted to see her in the audience of any of her pageants again during a headed argument.

It had been a while since she had been to one of Lola's pageants and at first, it hurt. It hurt when she was solely trying to help her little sister. The judges weren't on board with her sisters performance and furious, Diane stood up from the audience and objected. More then once. Lola didn't win that time and held a grudge since. So, Diane stayed away. Growing up, she saw how the entire family had something going for them.

Everyone had their own thing and she learned how to stay in her place. She was capable and strong with this kind of thing, learned from the best woman she knew.

Silently, Warren nodded and respected her wishes.

"Just give Sasha a kiss for me, please? I didn't get to because she was down for a nap," Warren grinned and grabbed the back Diane's neck gently, leaning her forward to kiss her hair. "I love your relationship with Sasha. You got it." He said, heartfelt. She hugged him goodbye and headed toward Tasha. "I love you bug!"

"I love you too!" She responded and waved.

Smiling softly at her daughter, Tasha leaned from her car and walked Diane to the front seat. Warren, with his arms crossed over his chest, watched and waved at Diane one last time through the window. Tasha shut the car door and rounded it. "I don't have to turn my car around again do I?" She approached Warren with her naturally seductive walk—something that drew people's attention quick. Warren dropped his hands at his sides and shook his head, sighing deeply.