14 ... F.K.L

friday
knights
14

☊ | track eleven—into it

"LOLA I DON'T THINK I'll need any more glitter tonight. Or any at all," Amira squirmed as she watched Lola dig inside her makeup kit for black glitter. She was seated—by force, on one of her tiny tea party set chairs at her pint-sized vanity. "But you will look prwtty," Lola pouted and used her secret weapon, widening her puppy dog eyes. Unfortunately, those eyes ran in the family. Naturally.

"Stay," She commanded. Amira sighed and obeyed, inwardly scolding herself for taking orders from a six-year-old. Lola was frightening, feisty, and all of the above synonyms that described her developing personality.

With many pointed makeup tools in her hands that Lola could use to jab her with, Amira knew to listen.

"Bwak and pwrple looks like the big stuff Carter and his frwends wear. I think he will love it if you're all spawrkly!" She giggled and incautiously chucked amounts of glitter on the messy glue-drawn heart on Amira's cheek. She spat, wiping the access glitter from her lips. Although Amira couldn't find it in her heart to scold the two front toothless girl, she hated how extra sensitive kids made her over the years. She just couldn't say no to the simplest yet hardest things.

She coughed up glitter and looked down. The purple lavender thin strapped ankle-length bodycon dress was covered in it. Her hair was tied up in two ponytail buns with two loose curls in the front and she didn't doubt her hair was covered in purple and black glitter. She bent her head to check through the heart-shaped vanity mirror and sighed, not even attempting to brush it off. "Lola I'm all glittered out."

"But—"

"But nothing. Put your stuff away, everyone is waiting." She stood up and brushed her clothes. "And what do you mean he'll love it?" She looked down at Lola who was suddenly quiet as she put her glitter tubs away. "My brwthers..." She began, sitting on her knees.

"They wike you. I hear them sthay it all the time and I wanted to make you look spawrkly to pwease them."

Frowning, Amira bent down to her height. "Is that what you think? That you have to be dolled up to please a boy?" Lola nodded and shrugged. Amira scoffed.

"We don't need to get sparkled up for a boy to please them, Lola. Where'd you hear a thing like that from?"

"Mommy. She does it for Daddy so he will look at her."

Amira's mouth gaped open and she nodded before dusting and fixing Lola's little jersey. "Mommy doesn't do that to please your daddy," She paused for a moment to rethink her words. Actually, that's exactly what she probably was trying to do, but not in the way Lola thought. Though, she'd never admit that to a child.

"She does it because she wants to look nicer than she already does to make Daddy smile. But the point is, girls don't have to get pretty to please a boy. I want you to understand, you get sparkly for you and you only. You got that?" Amira pointed and poked her heart gently, getting her point across. Lola smiled and nodded.

"Does this have to do with something? Maybe...a boy?" Amira raised her eyebrows suspiciously.

Lola rapidly shook her head and scrunched her face.