Prolouge

I walked along the pavement near the road as snowflakes fell slowly towards the ground.I walked along, lost in my thoughts.My mother had just passed away, joining my sister in death.
"Iris!How are you?The teacher said you had to rush to the hospital.Is your mom okay?"My childhood friend, Adam, asked.
I glanced up to look at him.His face was contorted in worry for me.Wasn't the answer already clear?I stared at him this time with tears in my eyes. Adam's eyes widened.He patted me on the back as I started crying silently.
"I'm sorry I...shouldn't have asked."Adam said quietly.
First my sister, then my mother.Why?!Why does this world have to be so unfair?!I wish...that I could just die already and get a chance to live with my sister again.
"Leave me alone."I whispered, swatting Adam's hand away and brisk-walking away from him.
Suddenly, I heard a loud screeching noise.A blinding light shines onto me.I turn towards the source.It was the headlight of a car.The car was skidding off the road and towards me.I froze.I turned back to Adam who was just ten steps away from me.He screamed my name.Time seemed to pass slowly.I turned back to look at the car. There was no way I could get away in time.I closed my eyes, accepting my fate.
~×~
The world goes dark, and everything becomes still.In the cold, empty darkness a warm light appears.I instinctively tried to raise my arm to block out some of the light but I did not have one.
The light becomes brighter and brighter.I try to squint, but I was unable to.Soon, the light completely covered all the darkness.I felt warmth again and the sound of a beating heart reverberates through my ears.All that I could see now was the light.Was I...being reincarnated?