Chapter 74

Third Person's P. O. V:

Kuromaru bursts out of the debris after Pein had used his Jutsu to destroy the village. Landing on the ground, the large Ninken shakes the dust off his fur. He turns to see Tsume climbing up behind him.

"Good work, Kuromaru," Tsume says, reaching him. She moves to place a hand on his head before her nose twitches and she catches her son's scent. Tsume whirls in the direction to see Kiba sitting on the ground beneath a pillar, his feet bracing against it.

Kiba grunts as he struggles to keep the slab of stone from crushing him, his feet bracing against it. Pein had been floating in the air above the village before he'd used this powerful attack that basically wiped everything out.

"Hang in there, Kiba!" Tsume tells her son.

Kiba gains an anime vein on the side of his head as he grunts and he continues to kick back against the stone. Eventually, he manages to kick it off of him. Kiba laughs cockily as Kuromaru, Akamaru, Kilala and Akane appear on the rubble behind them.

Kiba tells his Mum, "Piece of cake!" He then notices that Kimiko is nowhere near him. "Kimiko-chan?!"

Nearby, dust falls from a large dome of mound to reveal a group of wolves. It was Kimiko's pack.

Takeshi and Scar are struggling to keep a giant slab of earth from crushing their dead summoner and friends.

"You can do it, dad," Satoru encourages, having been shoved underneath his father to shield him from the falling debris, while his mother watches on worriedly. Everyone else seems to be okay.

"You ready, Takeshi?" Asks the white wolf. The white, black and brown wolf grunts in response. With a couple of heaves, both wolves finally throw the giant slab off them. Fang feels like sagging in immense relief.

"Is everyone alright?" She asks, gazing around. She finds Shin and Ace dead near her and sadness threatens to overwhelm her.

"As alright as we can be," Mutters Momo.

"Daddy!" Luna runs over to the white and black wolf upon seeing him. She tries nudging him awake but receives no response. Tears drip down Luna's face as she nudges her father's head with her own.

Arielle goes over to them and gently nudges Luna comfortingly. Tears leak down her face at the thought of losing her mate.

"Well, Fang?" Jet asks, after Fang tried to heal her mistress. The blue light fading, Fang shakes her head. Tears break free from under her eyelids and Jet feels tears threatening to break free as well.

Arielle and the others stare in surprise as Scar begins to shed tears for the first time in his whole life. For as long as any of his pack mates have known him, Scar has never once shed tears for anybody.

Just then, Jet throws back his head and lets out a loud howl full of anguish. His pack mates join in, their cries echoing across the whole village and startling Hinata and Sakura.

"That sounded like..." Sakura stammers, tears in her eyes. "... Kimiko's wolves. That couod only mean..."

Sadness tugs at the pinkette's and Hinata's hearts at the thought of losing their friend.

"Kimiko-chan?!" Comes Kiba's voice. He races over to the wolves, ignoring his mother calling for him to wait.

Kiba shoves past the howling wolves only to freeze as his face pales at the sight of his dead girlfriend. Kiba goes up to her and drops to his knees beside the blonde.

"Kimiko! Hey, are you alright?" Kiba murmurs as he takes her prostrate form into his arms. There was no response from the blonde haired girl. "Open your eyes, Kimiko! Please! Say something!"