40.

"just listen please. i know i haven't been the best person in the past couple weeks. i'm just scared and stressed. i haven't had a normal family. i've never had anyone give two shits about me since i was born. i was on my own and had to fend for myself. i couldn't have an opinion or ask a question without being beat. since my dad was locked up, all i experience is love and i don't know how to handle it, but i'm trying. please believe me when i tell you i'm trying." i paused before continuing, "as far as i'm concerned my parents were never my parents, but mean people i lived with. you are my dad. luke, cal, and ashton are my uncles. i love you guys. i couldn't ask for a better family. i'm sorry for being crabby, but i'm trying michael. i promise." i finished.

"i know baby. trust me, i know. i'm sorry for expecting you to tell me everything. i know it's hard. thank you for trying. the boys and i will always keep trying to make you feel safe and like the princess you are. i love you too." michael spoke softly.

"sorry for waking you up, i couldn't sleep without telling you that and i started my period so i sort of want to die." i laughed awkwardly.

"i'll bring chocolates tomorrow love. now go to sleep, let me get my beauty sleep because you know, you can't be as good looking as me and not sleep." michael whispered.

"sure whatever helps you sleep at night. goodnight dad." i whispered.

"you don't know how happy you just made me." michael spoke softly before hanging up.

i slowly felt myself relax as i put my phone back down.

i was happy. i finally felt more at peace with what was going on in my head.

i woke up the next morning to a box of chocolates on my bed side and a note from calum saying i needed to get up and walk around today.

i grumbled before slowly trying to sit up again and feeling a painful feeling in my stomach before falling back down.

"i'm starting to think it's all psychological." calum spoke from the door frame.

"it's not." i spoke simply as i laid there defeated.

"mhm. come on. up we go." calum smiled as he helped me stand up.

i stood on my own two feet and began hobbling in calum's direction.

calum burst out laughing at the sight of my attempt to walk.

i shot him a glare before continuing to hobble down the path of the hospital.

"need a hand?" he spoke as he stifled a laugh.

"not from you." i spoke with a painfully sweet smile.

"ouch." calum spoke with a dramatic eye roll.

we arrived in front of michael's office and saw him hunched over his desk with ashton.

"what are you looking at?" i asked.

michael quickly shot up and covered whatever he was holding behind his back.

"nothing! oh baby! you're walking!" michael smiled as he walked towards me.

"what are you hiding?" i asked skeptically.

"it's about to be 1 year in a week since we adopted you." michael smiled softly.

oh shit. it was coming up already.

"you forgot?" i asked faked shocked.

"no no! of course not!" michael quickly covered it up.

"he totally forgot." ashton added with smile.

"wow way too have my back." michael spoke with an eye roll.

"i've got some planning to do in between cases today. go on ahead with your walk. maybe you'll catch luke!" michael smiled.

i gave him a skeptical look before continuing behind calum.

i waddled down the path until i saw luke sitting in a chair talking with a patient.

"oh ophelia! this is mrs. malvin. this is ophelia, my mates daughter." luke smiled.

"it's great to meet you dear." she smiled softly.

"it's great to meet you too." i smiled.

"we're on our first walk of the week." calum smiled proudly.

"wow, you succeeded and making her stand. props to you." luke spoke with a tiny eye roll.

calum just gave him a smile before saying, "we'll be on our way now."

we headed off outside where the sun was beginning to set.

"it's beautiful." i whispered.

"not as beautiful as you." calum replied.

"ew that's cheesy don't ever say that to a girl." i spoke with a scrunched up nose.

"when did you become an expert?" calum laughed.

"when i moved in with you guys."