14.

ONE WEEK LATER

i woke up and sighed. i wish i wasn't here. i walked into my bathroom and saw my reflection. all of the scars and bruises my dad has given me.

my dad had punished me 2 more times over the past week and each time he did i relapsed.

today i had to go to the hospital to hopefully get my cast removed.

i walked into the bathroom and covered my bruises with makeup and wrapped my arm tightly with fresh gauze. i decided to weigh myself one more time to see how much weight i actually lost in two weeks. 97.5 lbs. that's a new record. i put on a hoodie and leggings and went downstairs.

i saw mom sitting on the couch with the keys in her hands looking absolutely heartbroken.

"what happened?" i asked weakly.

"your father asked for some space from me." she spoke as she put her head into her hands.

"isn't that a good thing?" i asked.

"no ophelia! it's not. i cant live without your father." she spit out as she stood up. "let's go."

i followed behind her silently as we walked to the car.

we drove in complete silence before we arrived at the hospital.

"do what you want ophelia. i don't care anymore. you're fathers actions are going to get us caught and sent to jail regardless." she muttered as she drove away.

i walked inside the hospital and went up to michael's office. i saw the door was open, but when i looked inside, he wasn't there.

i sat down on the couch and started to play a game on my phone when i heard a gasp and i quickly looked up and saw michael standing there clutching his shirt.

"what the bell. you scared me." i whispered as i sat back down with my hand over my heart.

"i scared you? ophelia you almost gave me a heart attack." michael laughed as he gathered himself.

"scaredy cat." i mumbled under my breath.

"i heard that." he whispered as he walked past me.

"so first i want to go ahead and remove the cast and then we are going to get another x-ray and see if your arm is all healed up." michael smiled.

i nodded, "could i ask a question?"

"of course!" he smiled.

"aren't you technically a surgeon? why are you helping me?" i asked.

"well to be honest, i usually just take surgeries, but when ashton walked you back i sort of felt a need to help you and get to know you as a patient. you seemed like a young girl with the literal world on her shoulders." he spoke quietly.

i felt tears enter my eyes, "i know you don't mean that to be a super compliment, but that's the nicest thing someone has ever said to me."

michael shot me a sad glance before standing up and walking towards the room to take my cast off.

i saw him grab the drill and start to drill my cast off.

i looked down at my arm once it was off and gasped.

"what? is there pain?" he asked.

"no, it's filthy." i spoke with a crinkle of my nose.

"well yeah babe, what did you expect?" he laughed.

we walked over to the x-ray after i washed my arm off.

i felt no pain in the section that was in a cast, just in my upper arm.

i heard michael shoot the image before walking back to me slowly.

"so the good news is your arm doesn't need a cast anymore, the not so good news is your upper arm still has a fracture that's gotten worse." michael spoke slowly.

i looked down at the floor and started to play with my sleeve subconsciously.

i saw michael walk over to the door and shut it gently.

"look, i'm only going to ask once, are your parents neglecting you?"