24.

i shakily stood up with michael's help and we went to the lab to meet calum's friend.

before we got to the door michael stopped dead in his tracks.

"fuck i forgot i had a surgery scheduled for later. i can't go. are you going to be okay love?" michael asked as he stared down at me.

"i'll be fine. i have cal with me." i smiled softly.

"ha! i'm the favorite." calum smirked.

"mhm sure." michael chuckled as he gave me a hug.

"we would go with, but we have to go in with michael." ashton sighed as he put on his tie.

"i got her don't worry." calum smiled.

"if she gets hurt- "bye michael!" calum yelled as he shut the door.

we walked to the car together and drove off to the lab.

"how long should this take?" i asked.

"probably 30-45 minutes, honestly depends on whats in the solution." calum spoke with a tiny shrug.

"the only thing i can tell you is that it hurt so bad to put it on, but afterwards i always felt so loopy even though i didn't take any medication." i mumbled as i played with my hands.

"then whatever was in this is not just peroxide." calum spoke firmly.

we arrived at the lab and were greeted by a man standing in front of the building.

"hello! you must be baby clifford!" hardy smiled as he stuck out his hand.

"nice to meet you." i smiled softly.

"let's head on it and i'll test the solution." hardy smiled as he held the door open for the two of us.

we walked inside and sat down while he grabbed the vial and poured a bit out on a strip of paper to test.

"i've never seen peroxide in a tube before. this is quite odd." hardy mumbled as he handed it back.

"could i head to the restroom?" i asked as i stood up.

"of course! it's down the hall to your right." he smiled.

i nodded and walked off.

i walked into the restroom and locked the door. as soon as i sat down i noticed blood on my underwear and almost started crying. of course my fucking period had to start now.

i grabbed an emergency tampon from my bag and finished my business.

calum's pov

"so why'd you adopt her? what's different about her?" hardy asked.

"well, michael adopted her. you would have to ask him personally why he did, but i fell in love with her. she was super timid and i could tell she had the world on her shoulders. as soon as she opened up to us and really began relying on us, i realized that i wanted to keep her safe for life." i spoke softly.

"well mate, i think you made a great decision. she seems like a sweetheart." he smiled.

ophelia's pov

i walked back into the room and sat down next to calum.

"how much longer should the testing take?" i asked.

"well, if i had to guess probably 15 more minutes?" hardy replied.

"so tell me about you ophelia." he smiled.

"well, i'm 16 years old, michael adopted me, i'm going to be a freshman in college next year, but i'm taking a gap year because i finished school early." i smiled lightly.

"wow! you've adopted a genius!" hardy commented.

"i didn't know this? why didn't i know this?" calum spoke as he stared at me slightly amazed.

"i never told you. never really bad the chance considering the circumstances." i chuckled.

over the next 10 minutes we just sat around and talked until the machine beeped indicating the testing was done.

hardy walked over to go see the results.

"hey mate, we need to contact the police right now."