38.

i sat there frozen in fear as michael was yelling orders while holding me down.

"what's wrong?" i stuttered as i stared up at him.

"it's infected. really bad infection. i don't know how it's so bad." michael spoke while slightly frustrated.

"am i going to die?" i asked.

"no." michael spoke firmly.

"then don't freak out. i'll be fine." i spoke softly with a smile.

"and there's my angel of hope." michael whispered as he slowly let go of me.

calum came running into the room half out of breath.

"what's wrong? is she coding?" he panted as he ran up.

"no, just an infection." michael spoke innocently.

"you ass." calum muttered as he smacked michael across the head.

"ow." michael spoke with a tiny glare.

"oh you deserved it." calum spoke firmly with a frown.

calum turned away from michael and back at me with a smile.

"okay pretty girl, let's see what we can do." he spoke softly.

he gently lifted up my gown and saw the infection spreading around my surgical wound.

"it's definitely infected, but i have no clue how or what it's infected from." calum spoke as he examined the wound.

he went to touch it and i immediately hissed at the pain.

"i'm sorry." calum spoke quickly as he moved his hand away.

"i want to start her on antibiotics." he spoke as he leaned over to check my vitals.

"don't worry calum. next time i'll text you if it's an actual emergency." i laughed softly before wincing in pain.

i went to go grab my side before being stopped by calum.

"i hate to break it to you baby, but you can't touch it. we don't want to risk further infection." calum spoke quickly.

i nodded and tried to move myself back into the bed.

"don't move." michael whispered as he walked forward and picked me up.

"michael! put me down." i spoke firmly.

"carrying a princess in bridal style is what i'm supposed to do though." michael spoke firmly.

"yeah yeah whatever." i mumbled as he placed me down on the bed.

"no moving for the rest of the night until the infection clears up. if you need to move, push the nurse's button and we'll be done." calum smiled as he patted my shoulder in sympathy.

i nodded and laid back down in my bed.

soon michael and calum both got called to an emergency car crash and i was about to fall asleep, but felt my phone ring.

i looked over and saw the unknown number pop up again.

dad.

i answered the phone hesitantly.

"h-hello?" i stuttered.

"have you thought about my offer?" dad asked.

"i-i can barely move. i have an infection in my wound, i can't help even if i wanted too, which i don't." i spoke softly.

"stop stuttering and this is your karma for refusing to help me. i'm breaking out of this hell hole one way or another." dad spit out.

"i-i- i was cut off by luke opening the door.

"ophelia! for fucks sake! just help me." dad screamed into the phone.

"i can't!" i yelled back out of response.

"who are you talking to?" luke whispered looking startled.

"you're dead to me." dad spit as he hung up the phone.

i lowered the phone quickly and put it underneath the cover.

"luke. how are you?" i asked with a fake smile.

"who were you talking to?" luke repeated.

"how are you?" i repeated my question.

"i don't want to be that overprotective uncle and ask to see your phone, so i'll ask again. who were you talking to?" luke spoke more firmly.

i turned away from him slowly. i wasn't going to hurt them. i wasn't going to hurt my dad more.

i saw luke reach for his phone and call someone.

"michael. come up to ophelia's room please."