39.

"why do you have to be like this." i spoke angrily at luke.

"it's all out of care ophelia. do you even realize how scared we all were when you went silent on us? after your father's trial we considered placing you under suicide watch because of how afraid we were. so please, once michael gets up here. tell the truth and talk to us." luke spoke harshly.

i know he didn't mean to come off mean, but his words hurt. they really didn't trust me.

"what's going on up here?" michael asked firmly.

"she's been talking to someone on the phone and being super secretive about it." luke spoke simply.

"give us a minute." michael spoke firmly.

luke nodded.

"keep in mind what i said and really think if what you're hiding is worth it. i'll be waiting by the car with ashton and calum mate." luke spoke tiredly before leaving the room.

"phone." michael spoke simply as he stuck out his hand.

i hesitantly got it out from underneath the covers and handed it to him.

he took it and looked through my recent calls.

he handed my phone back before sitting down in the chair next to the bed.

"so, who's the unknown number?" he asked slowly.

"i-i don't know." i whispered.

"you answered the call and talked to them, so you obviously do know. tell the truth please." michael spoke with a pleading look in his eyes.

"my dad." i spoke softly.

michael went silent for a moment before speaking up. "why the hell is he even contacting you? he has no right."

"he wants to break out of prison because supposedly the other inmates found out about what he was in for." i replied quietly.

michael nodded before standing up. "i'm going to contact the prison and have you removed from his contacts."

"thank you, it's hard lying to you." i sighed.

"then don't do it. you don't have to protect us or him. we are grown ups. what you do need to do is heal yourself up." michael spoke quietly before walking out of the room.

i felt tears fill my eyes as i turned away from the shut door. i was pushing them away.

michael's pov

i walked out of the room and down the stairs til i arrived at the car.

i saw my mates standing there before i completely broke down in front of them.

"i-i don't cry a lot, but i'm really worried about ophelia. i jus feel this huge gap between us and i can't fix it." i spoke with a huge quiver to my voice.

"i know mate, she's a teenager. we should have been better prepared for it." ashton spoke as he wrapped his arm around me.

"i just wish there was something i could do to let her know that she can trust me with anything. good or bad, i'm here dad. i'm her guardian." i spoke softly.

"sometimes, you have to let someone fall far enough before they realize who is truly there for them." calum added.

"i agree. maybe we need to lay off her and the mental health a bit and let her realize that she needs to help herself." luke replied.

i nodded slowly. i didn't want to do this, but deep down i knew they were right.

ophelia's pov

i woke up in the middle of the night and had to pee.

i pushed the nurse's button, but no one was coming. i slowly began to sit up, groaning each inch i moved.

i was finally seated up and had sweat dripping down my face. who knew sitting up could be so exhausting.

i walked over to the bathroom slowly before sitting down on the toilet and doing my business.

i looked down and saw blood and immediately felt like dying. out of all the days and times i could start my period, why now.

i slowly stood up and grabbed toilet paper and waddled out of the bathroom. i saw a nurse standing there before quickly rushing to my side.

"dr. hood told me you couldn't walk." she spoke quickly.

"i'm okay. i'm on my period, could you grab me pads?" i asked softly.

"of course. i'll be right back." she whispered before running off.

i put myself back in the bathroom and sat on the toilet hunched over.

"here babe." the nurse spoke as she handed me the products before leaving the room.

i quickly did my business and changed.

i washed my hands and walked out of the bathroom. i slowly laid down in the bed before grabbing my phone. i went to michael's contact and pushed call.

it rang a couple times before i heard a raspy, "hello?"