The First Secret ✔️

(Chapter thirty-five)

Rosewood,Pennsylvania
October 28, 2008

"So what do you think, Em? Should Hanna be 'cute Britney' or 'bald Britney'?" Alison asked.

"If she wants to be, cute Britney." Emily replied.

"Katherine?"

"She's not gonna shave her head." I exclaimed.

"Spencer, you're worse than my father." Alison said. Spencer was on her phone.

"Sorry. But I did just procure nine votes from the debate team." Spencer smiled.

"Wait, that's a good thing, right?" Hanna questioned and I chuckled.

"Yeah. And 'procured' means to obtain with special effort and 'obtain' means to-" Spencer started but Alison cut her off.

"Are you gonna recite the entire dictionary?"

"I think that Hanna should be who she wants to be." Spencer said.

"Fine. But you better wear the tightest skinny pants you can fit your big butt into." Alison said. Here we go.

Emily's phone pinged.

"Ben?"

"He's all about me going as a sexy cop for halloween. But I'm thinking indian girl."

"What a shame. All that testosterone and not a sheep in sight." Ali said to Noel Kahn. He stopped his car next to us. His friends were in the backseat.

"Careful Alison. I get your jokes, but someday you might meet a guy who doesn't." Noel said and then looked at me.

"So am I gonna see you at my party on Friday?"

"No, we didn't know we were invited." I replied. I know Aria's head over heels for Noel. I don't like the guy, but he likes me and not Aria.

"You're Ali's friends, right?"

"Did we just get invited to Noel Kahn's halloween bash?" Hanna excitedly asked when they drove away.

"I'm a little embarrassed by how excited you girls are. It's just a party." Ali said.

"Ali, it's not just a party." Spencer started.

"It's the party." Aria pipped in.

"You're right. And I'm happy we'll be there together." Alison smiled.

*****

I was on my way to Jason. We were going on a date in Phily. People don't know us there so they wouldn't ask questions.

But things went sideways real quick when Jason opened his front door and looked me in the eyes.

I got so used to this that all I need is one look and I can tell when he's drunk or high.
He was high out of his mind. It was 10 a.m.