50.

Anaya.

Things got a bit awkward after Tim's rejection of the King's offer.

"I take it you need some time to think about it. This is a big decision, don't take it lightly."

"Once again, thank you, Your Majesty. But I am quite sure, Royal life isn't for me. You already said I wasn't raised the right way. I take no offence to that, you're right. The way I was raised has taught me to want simpler things. I have no desire to be King." He stood up and bared his neck, "I hope you're able to find a suitable replacement."

Tim walked out of the room and I bared my neck to the King before hurrying after him.

He hadn't gone far, he was leaning on the wall right beside the door.

"Tim, are you okay?"

"I need fresh air," he rasped.

Alex had come out now, "We'll be back" I said to him.

I knew just the place to take Tim. In her stories, my mother had given pretty accurate directions to the garden my father and her used to meet in and I found it pretty easily.

It was pretty indeed but it was clear it wasn't being well taken care of. The trees and hedges were well trimmed, the work of a gardener, nothing was overgrown but it was still missing something. Even though it was my first time there, I knew it was missing something. I just couldn't put my finger on it

Tim and I found a bench and settled onto it.

"Just take deep breaths," I instructed.

He put his head in his hands, gulping the air, "I can't believe I just did that."

"Honestly, neither can I," I paused, "Why did you do it?"

Tim looked at me. His eyes were red even though he hadn't shed a tear.

"I can't do it, Anaya. I don't know how to explain it but I cannot be the Lycan King."

I wrapped my arms around him, "You don't have to explain it. I understand."

"What do you think he's going to do? The king." he asked when we separated

"I don't know, die?"

He laughed, "Anaya"

"It doesn't matter. He'll find somebody else."

"Do you know why Alex dropped out?"

I shook my head. I'd been wondering about that too. He had been so excited when the counsellors came and he knew they were considering him. What changed? When did it change? And why didn't he tell me about it?

"I'd like to see her," Tim eventually said quietly.

I didn't have to ask, knew who he was talking about.

"Let's go."

We returned into the palace and found Alex waiting in the sitting room.

"Everything okay?" he asked when he saw me and I nodded,

"I'm taking Tim to see our mother."

I wondered if I needed permission before going up to her room but couldn't be bothered with all these customs and rules anymore.

We climbed the stairs, me confident that I could remember the room but I couldn't. The palace passages were very confusing. Alex took the lead and soon we were in front of the familiar doors.

"I'm sorry, I can't come in with you. I'm not ready to see her again," I said, hanging back.

I leaned into Alex as Tim knocked and entered the room.