9.

Anaya.

And then he left me there.

I scoff, of course I had to get a jerk for a mate. 

It was getting ridiculous how many shitty things have happened to me in the last three days, as if I offended some incredibly powerful, and short-tempered higher power. 

I’m obviously not someone that learns from their mistakes because I fell asleep again. This time, however, when I wake up, there’s food in front of me. 

I practically drool at the sight of it. 

One of the guards, seeing I’m awake, comes forward and unlocks my chains. I immediately bring my sore wrists forward, rubbing them. 

“Alpha had this brought down for you,” he practically spits at me as if it was the most disgusting thing he’d ever seen his Alpha do and as if it was somehow my fault that I was human and needed to be fed. 

However, I wasn’t interested in doing anything that would make me even slightly indebted to the Lycan Alpha. 

“I don’t want it,” I said and the guard shrugged like he couldn’t care less.

I folded my arms and avoided looking at the spread of chicken and vegetables in from of me while my stomach, the traitor, kept growling so loudly that even somebody without werewolf hearing would have heard it loud and clear. 

“Eat the bloody food,” the other guard growled at me. 

I rolled my eyes but gave in, grabbing the plate and biting down into the chicken thigh. It was delicious. Why did it have to be?? I ate everything quickly and drank the water they’d brought with it. Finally satisfied, I leaned back on the wall.

The guard immediately came forward and redid my chains.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I whine but he’s gone back to not speaking to me. 

I needed a a plan to get out of here, and soon. I couldn’t remain a prisoner for the rest of my life.

A clang sounded at the door and the guards opened it and in walked my mate. I rolled my eyes and faced away from him as much as the chains would allow me. Why was he back already? I would be the mate bond. His wolf was probably forcing him to make sure his mate was okay. 

The room is silent and I wonder why he’s made no move so I sneak a peek at him and find that we’re the only ones in the room, the guards have left. 

“Sent your minions away?”

He doesn’t say anything but just studies me. 

“You’re a rogue,” it’s not a question, just a statement. 

I snort, “Ten points for Gryffindor.”

He frowns a bit, “Why did you raid my pack?”

“It’s what we do. How are we supposed to survive?”

“Yes, but why my pack. You’d have to be more than a little dense and or suicidal to raid a Lycan pack. So why?”

I shrug, “Look, I don’t know.”

I would never tell this stranger that even I wondered till now why my father had chosen this pack. I would never tell this stranger that I probably would never forgive my father because his one bad decision caused a domino effect of successive bad situations that have led me to being held captive in the basement of a Lycan Alpha who just so happens to be my mate while my brother is nowhere to be found. 

He studied me again, “You’re young. What could you possibly have done in your old pack that got you kicked out and named a rogue?”

I squirmed under his gaze, getting uncomfortable. Why did he want to know so much about me? Was he trying get to know his mate or was he interrogating his prisoner.?

“I killed someone. What’s with all the questions?”

“You killed somebody? So you were named a rogue because you are a murderer?”

“Yup”

“I don’t appreciate liars, Anaya,” he growled and would have made me terrified if it weren’t for the way my name sounded coming from his mouth. I wanted him to say it again. 

“I don’t appreciate people who poke their noses into other’s people’s business.”

“It became my business when you trespassed onto my territory not once, but twice!” he growled. He growled a lot.

“Whatever, look, when are you going to take these chains off?”

“I see you’re a healthy eater,” he looked at my plate, completely empty save for the cracked pieces of chicken bones I’d left on it and I couldn’t help the warmth that came to my cheeks. I would have loved to send a message by not touching the food he’d sent. 

“When are these chains being taken off me?” I asked again. 

He sighed and bent down so that we were eye-to-eye, “Anaya, customs and traditions are very important to pack wolves and moreso to Lycan pack wolves. There are rules about everything and we take our bloodline very seriously. And we would do anything to preserve it. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“No, and I don’t care. When are these chains going to be taken off me so that I can leave your precious territory? Trust me, you won’t see me anywhere near it again.”

He reared back, obviously surprised, “You want to leave?”

Was he dumb? “I’m supposed to want to be a prisoner?”

“We’re mates.”

Right, “About that...”

I bit my lip, “I don’t think I can do this. And besides I think we’re on the same page. You don’t want me as your mate either right? It’s perfect. Let’s just go our separate ways and never see each other again, I have a life to get back to.”

Shock was written all over his face and I wondered why. I’m pretty sure he was about to reject me what with all his talk about bloodlines and stuff. Why is he so surprised that I agree with him?

His eyes darkened and he leaned closer to me. I tried to lean back but there was nowhere for me to go. He bent his head to my neck and suddenly his mouth is on my skin. I feel his teeth elongate and pierce my neck. My muscles tense up beneath him, I open my mouth to scream or something but no sound comes out. 

Then I feel his tongue licking the wound. As suddenly as he leaned in, he leans back. His eyes aren’t dark anymore and he looks..scared. 

Without saying anything, he stands up and leaves the room. 

When I’m finally able to move, I bring my hand up to touch my neck gingerly and gasp.

The bastard marked me!